Recipe for a Friend
  Re: (...)
Hmm, by the title you might think I wanted to bake myself a buddy, but no. A good friend just wrote me to ask about a dish she'd had, she wrote:

"I have a question that I'm trying to find an answer to. I had a dish that was very Italian and at first I was very skeptical that I would enjoy but it was delicious only trouble is I've not got a clue how to find a recipe for it and wondered if you might know of it. It was a baked dish with rice, artichokes, black and green olives and a mild tomato sauce. I've never had cooked olives, whole in a baked dish besides pizza but would like to try and make this. It was yummy!"

Anyone here have an idea what this could be?? It's got me stumped, didn't have many rice dishes in our Italian family.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Recipe for a Friend by farnfam (Hmm, by the title yo...)
This is the closest I could find, so far. Since I'm not a big fan of artichokes, this is not something with which I would be familiar, but maybe that link can help get things started.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Recipe for a Friend by labradors ([url=http://allrecip...)
Any cheese in this dish? Almost sounds more greek to me.
  Re: Re: Recipe for a Friend by DFen911 (Any cheese in this d...)
I wrote and asked for more details. I searched "baked risotto" but can't seem to find something that has all the things she mentioned. I also asked where she ate this dish, for a clue.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Recipe for a Friend by farnfam (I wrote and asked fo...)
Ok, she says she thinks there was probbly some cheese in the dish but not prominent. She also said that she had this on an airplane as she flew to England, and that it was a meatless dish. I hope we can come up with something to help her. She's going to try to do her own version, but wondered about how to control the saltiness of all the ing.

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Recipe for a Friend by farnfam (Ok, she says she thi...)
Labs suggestion sounds tasty - I'm thinking hot tho and that could easily be served that way.

Here's something she might use for a base - omit the ham and pasta, and add kalamatas or olives of choice and serve over rice topped with Asiago? or Feta?
* Exported from MasterCook *

PENNE W/TOMATOES, PESTO, ETC.

6 ounces marinated artichoke hearts -- drained
1/2 large onion -- chopped
2 large garlic cloves -- chopped
1 can diced tomatoes in juice -- (28 oz.)
1/2 cup purchased pesto
12 ounces penne pasta -- cooked
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Parmesan cheese -- for garnish
3 ounces ham -- julienned
3 ounces roasted red peppers

Heat 3 T. oil reserved from artichokes in heavy large pot over med-hi heat.

Add onion & garlic and sauté until onion is tender, about 7 min.

Add tomatoes with their juices and the artichokes.

Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 8 min.
Add pesto and simmer one minute longer.

Mix in pasta, 1/3 cup Parmesan, ham & the roasted red peppers.

Add more pasta water and/or pesto for the correct consistency and flavor..
Season with salt & pepper.

------
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com