Vegetarian help..
  Re: (...)
Ok so I have a new client call me. She's doing a dinner party for 4 a 70th birthday party.

One of the guests is a vegetarian...or rather a peskatarian, will eat fish only.

I'm not fond of cooking fish for clients that I am not familiar with their kitchen. The other 3 guests will eat meat.

What I would to find is a vegetarian dish that would please meat eaters. I'm thinking stuffed portobello's. I have never cooked a hearty vegetarian dish. So if any of you are vegetarians I would love your input!
  Re: Vegetarian help.. by DFen911 (Ok so I have a new c...)
Hi,
Sorry, i am nonvegetarian.But my wife always made veg dishes for his nephew.So give me one day i will ask her then i will give you answer.
  Re: Re: Vegetarian help.. by johnpoll (Hi,[br] ...)
As a confirmed carnivore, I'm sure that many of my fellow carnivores will agree that the vegetarian dish we like the most is BBQ vegetarian roasted on a spit.

Seriously, as NON-vegetarian as I am, there ARE some vegetarian, or even vegan, things that I like (e.g. soy milk), but I don't have a particularly large list of recipes from which to offer suggestions. Here are three ideas that may help.

1) Make any vegetable-related soup (e.g. cream of broccoli), but substitute vegetable stock for the chicken or beef stock.

2) For a main dish, try TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) - a meat substitute. It's firmer and more like meat than tofu. With the right TVP, the lack of meat is not that noticeable. Not ALL of the TVPs are that great, but I used to use one that was quite good. Unfortunately, it was from a bulk bin in a health-food store in Orlando, so I don't know any brand name to tell you. It was just the "chunk" (instead of "ground") "beef" one that they had, and was very good, even though the same store's "chicken" TVP was only mediocre. Here's a recipe I actually did make for myself (more than once) that is just a vegetarian adaptation of a standard recipe:

Vegetarian "Beef" Stroganoff
(Based upon a recipe that calls for 1 lb of beef)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb "Beef chunk" TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein meat substitute)
  • 4 cups Water
  • 7 tbs Flour (divided 4 + 3)
  • 2 tsp Salt
  • 4 tbs Butter (divided 2 + 2)
  • 1 cup Mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 cup Onions, chopped
  • 1 clove Garlic, minced
  • 1 tbs Tomato paste
  • 1 1/4 cups Vegetable broth
  • 1 cup Sour cream
  • 2 tbs Sherry
Instructions:
  1. Reconstitute the TVP in the water over night. Drain.
  2. In a bowl or dish (your preference for dredging), mix together 4 tbs of the flour and 2 tsp of salt.
  3. Dredge the TVP in the flour mixture. It probably won't "accept" as much of the flour as beef would, but it's not super critical, so just do the best you are able.
  4. Heat a skillet, add 2 tbs of butter, and quickly brown the TVP. Remove.
  5. Add the mushrooms, onions, and garlic to the skillet and cook until barely tender. Remove.
  6. Add 2tbs of butter, 3 tbs of flour and 1 tbs of tomato paste to the skillet, in that order, forming a reddish roux.
  7. Slowly add the vegetable broth to the skillet. Cook until thickened.
  8. Return the TVP and the veggie mixture to the skillet.
  9. Stir in the sour cream and the Sherry, and heat through.
  10. I like this served over good, wide egg noodles

3) For a side dish that will please just about everyone (and will probably become a regular), go with this recipe that I got from Vegetarian Times about five years ago (it's also perfect at this time of year):

Spicy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
(Makes 4 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 4 medium Sweet Potatoes
  • 4 tbs Butter
  • 1/8 tsp (or to taste) ground cumin
  • Salt to taste
  • 6 oz. Pepper-Jack cheese, grated
  • 1 large Red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 large Yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 cup Sour cream
  • 2 tbs Freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 2 tbs White onions, minced
  • 2 tbs Cilantro, finely chopped
Instructions:
  1. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place on a large baking pan lined with foil. Bake in a 350° F oven for about 1 1/2 hrs, or until soft in the center. Remove from oven, but leave oven on. Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop potato flesh into a bowl. Place jackets back onto baking pan.
  2. Mash the butter, cumin and salt into the potatoes, leaving them chunky.
  3. Scoop back into potato jackets, distributing mixture evenly.
  4. Sprinkle the peppers and the cheese onto top of potatoes, reserving some peppers for final garnish. Bake in oven until the cheese melts.
  5. Mix together the sour cream and lime juice.
  6. Garnish finished potatoes with the white onions, remaining peppers, cilantro, and sour cream. Serve hot.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Vegetarian help.. by labradors (As a confirmed carni...)
Depending on if they eat eggs and cheese, you could make a crab and broccoli quiche with the stuffed portabellas as a side.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Vegetarian help.. by chef_Tab (Depending on if they...)
I'm not a vegetarian....but. Here's a dish I usually serve to those who are. And it's even prettier when serving as a plated dinner - you can garnish each serving with fried sage leaves and they are such a hit at parties.

ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH PENNE AL BURRO

AL BURRO SAUCE:
6 ounces unsalted butter -- room temperature
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 ounces freshly grated Parmesan
BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
1 pound Butternut squash -- peeled, cut in ~1/2" chunks
1 T. Olive oil
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 1/2 T. fresh minced sage leaves
salt & pepper
------
1 pound Penne
-------
the following are optional garnishes for the dish -
18 fresh sage leaves
1 " depth of veggetalbe oil
Optional adds: toasted pine nuts

Preheat oven to 400°.

al Burro sauce:
With a mixer, beat the butter until light & fluffy; add the heavy cream gradually, beating constantly until all cream is added. Add the Parmesan and mix just until blended; cover and reserve.

Butternut Squash:
Put the 1/2" cubes on a baking sheet and toss together with the 1 T. olive oil, minced sage, garlic, and salt & pepper.
Roast in a 400° oven for 15 - 20 min. until tender, turning the pieces once during roasting. Remove from oven and set aside.

Sage Leaves garnish:
Heat a small fry pan with ~1" veggie oil until a couple of drops of water sizzle.

Drop in individual leaves top side down, three or four at a time in the hot oil. After 30-45 seconds, turn over and let just brown; remove quickly with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.

Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet, if using.

Cook Penne according to pkg. directions, drain.

Finish dish:
Add the penne to the al burro sauce mix together well; add the roasted butternut squash, toss gently to completely mix and season with salt to taste and lots of freshly grated pepper.

Top each plate with additional grated Parmesan cheese and three fried sage leaves and/or pine nuts. And, a little more freshly ground pepper, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
---

Good luck finding one that catches your eye, Denise.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vegetarian help.. by cjs (I'm not a vegetarian...)
Quote:

AL BURRO SAUCE:

Sounds good. Not sure what the vegetarians will think about the "burro," though.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
Denise, I know you said you didn't want to do fish, but you might think about the Moroccan-spiced halibut with sauteed vegetables and lemon parsley couscous in the cuisine for two book. I am always nervous cooking fish, but this was a very easy dish to make and not mess up.

Not that YOU would - BUT might take care of the issue of cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen.

It was very good. We really liked it. And a very nice presentation. Do you have the book?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
I have the pleasure of a Vegan & a vegetarian joining my table at every holiday. Adding seafood to the dish would be pure delight for me. Perhaps a paella substituting soy sausage for the meats in the recipe, it is a stovetop recipe with a beautiful presentation. Or a Shrimp & Asparagus Risotto.

I have used soy crumbles in stuffings for peppers & acorn squash. It's worked very well but the rice dishes are more appealing to the carnivorous crowd.

Good luck,
AJ
  Re: Re: Vegetarian help.. by esgunn (Denise, I know you ...)
" I definitely want to be Jean in my next life "
Great idea. Or the Proscuitto Frizzled Fish ( I used halibut). It tastes great, and looks great on the plate. It's also fast and easy.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Vegetarian help.. by Lorraine (" I definitely want...)
The al Burro is heavenly!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.