Saturday - 11/22/08
  Re: (...)
45 years since JFK was taken from us...does not seem possible it's been so long.

We're going to have fun food tonight for dinner - get ready to hoot! I bought another of Sandra Lee's book for the trailer (love her ideas for 'camping') - shoot, the book is in the bedroom, but it's a Mexican dish and we'll have Margaritas too.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by cjs (45 years since JFK w...)
You know, I hadn't thought about using her stuff in that way. Makes sense.

I have no idea. Now that I've got 2 new volumes and the Holiday Menu book, I'm overwhelmed with ideas and can't settle on anything....LOL! That's my first project of the day.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I hadn't t...)
I'm at work this morning catching up from too many meetings last week. Did our menu for next week at breakfast and decided to make the Southwestern Pot Roast from Issue 17 tonight.
  Re: Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by HomeCulinarian (I'm at work this mor...)
Seafood's on sale here today. We have a few little Cdn lobster tails, some fresh bay scallops, and some frozen shrimp that are gathering ice crystals (it's related to Jean's). Don't have a clue what to do with the bay scallops, they are really small. If anyone has any ideas......
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by Lorraine (Seafood's on sale he...)
Lorraine, a close friend of mine made up this recipe and sent it my way. We all love it and I have made it many times. Here is what you do.

Use 1/2 lb. scallops and 1/2 lb. shrimp or any combo you want. Fry up quickly with a little garlic in a little bit of olive oil, then add 1 jar or 1 recipe alfredo sauce, and 1 or 2 cans of stewed tomatoes. I only use one because my family likes thicker sauce. Pour this over cooked penne pasta. Very tasty.

As for dinner tonight, I had another casserole dish of Classic Cannelloni in the freezer, so am thawing that for tonight. We're carpet cleaning today to get ready for Thanksgiving.

Maryann
  Re: Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by Mare749 (Lorraine, a close fr...)
I'd do a primavera....which is pretty much what Maryann has posted. I've searched for years for just the right one. With some modifications to the original (forget where I got it), I've finally managed to replicate one from a Dairy competition from Myrtle Beach area Chefs. I sure wish I could find that copy of those recipes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Seafood and Pasta Primavera

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 whole tomatoes -- or 1 or 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes halved
8 oz pasta -- uncooked rotelle
1 whole shallot -- minced
2 tablespoons Butter
8 ounces asparagus -- 1/2 inch pieces
2 whole Carrots -- peeled and chopped
1 pt Half and half
1/2 cup peas, frozen
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme -- minced
1 lb Sea scallops

In medium saucepan, bring 1 quart water to a boil. Using knife, make an x on bottom of each tomato; immerse in boiling water 30 seconds. Peel and discard skin. Cut each tomato into quarters; discard seeds. Chop tomatoes; set aside. (I just use an equivalent amount of cherry or grape tomatoes halved and skip this step.

Prepare pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in large skillet, saute shallot in butter until soft, about 2 minutes. Add asparagus and carrots, cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add half and half, peas and thyme. Bring to a boil; simmer until mixture reduces slightly, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes, scallops and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until scallops turn opaque, 2-3 minutes.

Drain pasta; toss with scallop mixture.

Description:
"This primavera is one of my personal favorites."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Use 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme if fresh is not available.
Shrimp can be used in place of scallops.
Broccoli can used in place of asparagus.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by Lorraine (Seafood's on sale he...)
"We have a few little Cdn lobster tails, some fresh bay scallops, and some frozen shrimp that are gathering ice crystals (it's related to Jean's). Don't have a clue what to do with the bay scallops, they are really small. If anyone has any ideas...... "

There is the recipe for "Fruits de Mer Fettucine" in the cuisine for two book that uses shrimp, scallops and mussels. It is delicious, but I would cut back on the peppers next time.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by chef_Tab ("We have a few littl...)
Oh my, Maryann does that sound good! darn ice crystals.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by cjs (Oh my, Maryann does ...)
Whatever it is, it won't be too elaborate. My sister and I saw the Bacon Brothers last night (that Kevin Bacon is so darn cute) and I'm still recuperating. I cannot stay out until 12:30am with 5 glasses of wine consumed. I'm too old for this!

Maybe Chinese take-out?
  Re: Re: Saturday - 11/22/08 by Trixxee (Whatever it is, it w...)
Trixxee, Chinese sounds like a good plan for you!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I have archived them for future reference.. Unfortunately, they didn't want anything in a tomato sauce, nor a cream sauce. Nor did they want them just fried. I'm so tired of discussing it with them that I froze them. They can deal with them when I'm gone. Am I sounding cranky here? I don't deal well with folks that have tunnel vision.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.