Apple Basted Turkey
  Re: (...)
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum. I have completely lost my issue with the apple butter basted turkey. Does anyone happen to have the issue and/or the recipe? If so could you please post? I would sooooooo appreciate it!
  Re: Apple Basted Turkey by rottiefan (Hi everyone! I am n...)
Welcome rottiefan! I'm glad you've joined us and hope you stick around. Unfortunately, I must not have that issue. Hopefully, Jean is still on or someone else with a Plus membership will be along to help you out.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Apple Basted Turkey by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome rottiefan! ...)
Thanks so much! Hope you have a nice day!
  Re: Re: Apple Basted Turkey by rottiefan (Thanks so much! Hop...)
Welcome to another dog lover! Rotties are wonderful dogs - big babies, actually, except for the ones owned by people whose machismo makes them want to try to prove something. Those of us who know Rotties, Dobies, et al, understand just how true the old "no bad dogs - only bad owners" saying really is.

I hope you can join us more regularly - maybe adding a Rottie pic as your avatar. Unfortunately, along with Daphne, I don't have that particular recipe, but I do wish you a warm welcome, and hope you enjoy the site.

Don't worry. SOMEone among the regulars here will have it. Just give it a little time until they happen to log in.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Apple Basted Turkey by labradors (Welcome to another d...)
Found it posted on another website! It's from the current (Dec 2008) issue. Here is is:

Apple-Butter-Basted Turkey Breast
with roasted vegetable dressing
The bottom of the dressing caramelizes and gets crispy. It's the best part!

For the Turkey -
1 bone-in turkey breast (6-7 lb.)

For the Dressing -
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
2 cups peeled, diced sweet potatoes
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups halved cremini mushrooms (6 oz.)
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 loaf French bread, cubed and air-dried (10 cups)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
1 tsp. poultry seasong
1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

For the Baste -
1/2 stick unsalted butter (4 Tbsp.)
1/4 cup apple jelly

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Trim off the wing and any leg meat attached to the turkey breast. Cut to the bone along the white fat
line that runs about 2 inches below the cavity opening. (Reserve the turkey pieces for making stock.) Next,
make a 2-inch incision into the breastbone and flatten slightly. Rinse, pat dry with paper towels, cover, and
chill until ready to roast.
Melt 2 Tbsp. butter with oil for the dressing in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sweet
potatoes, and celery, and cook 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, cook 5 minutes more, then deglaze with sherry and
reduce until evaporated. Transfer to a large bowl with bread, broth, parsley, sage, and seasonings. Toss well
to combine.
Form dressing into a football shape in a 3 qt. baking dish, building height in the center. Drape turkey over dressing,
brush skin with 1 Tbsp. melted butter, and season with salt. Roast 30 minutes, then rotate baking dish, and roast
30 minutes more.
Melt 1/2 stick butter with apple jelly for the baste in a small saucepan. Season with salt. After 1 hour, begin
basting turkey every 15 minutes, until the thickest part of the breast registers 165 degrees on a thermometer.
Tent with foil, let rest at least 15 minutes, then carve.

Further notes for this recipe as stated in magazine:
While a traditional whole turkey is a sight to behold, it's a lot to wrestle with. Roasting a 6-7 pound turkey breast
is the key to success. Some cooks prefer fresh turkey, but a frozen turkey breast also works (allow 2-3 days for
thawing in the refrigerator). When you're ready to roast, calculate 15-20 minutes per pound, and use a
thermometer to test for doneness.
The dressing mixture might seem a bit dry before roasting - that's OK. The bread will absorb flavorful juices without
becoming soggy during roasting. If your bread isn't naturally stale, you can pop it in a 200 degree oven. After one
hour, turn the oven off and leave the bread there for another hour to remove excess moisture without toasting.

This recipe is from: Cuisine at home magazine, Issue No.72 December 2008
Credits for article to Kim Samuelson
  Re: Re: Apple Basted Turkey by labradors (Welcome to another d...)
Hi! Thanks so much for the recipe, you're a life saver. I was looking forward to using the apple jelly/butter baste and had even bought the apple jelly, I then figured out my issue accidently got thrown away. I will definitely be coming back to the forum you all are so nice and thanks for the warm welcome.

I completely agree on no bad dogs only bad owners, it's such a shame. I am a proud owner of 2 Rotties and a Black Lab. The Lab, my boyfriend and I adopted from the pound. A lot can be said for rescue dogs as well. My family also owns Rotties, we are determined to show they are wonderful, big babies with great personalities and completely misunderstood.

Thanks again and I will definitely be back. Have a great weekend!
  Re: Re: Apple Basted Turkey by rottiefan (Hi! Thanks so much ...)
Glad to be able to help. Once you've made the recipe, be sure to come back and post a review, including what you, your boyfriend, and any guests may have thought. That not only adds to the fun, but can also be informative to others if you encounter any problems, learn something interesting while making the recipe, substitute different ingredients, or get interesting and useful comments from guests.

Say "Woof" to the dogs for me. LOL!
  Re: Re: Apple Basted Turkey by labradors (Glad to be able to h...)
Sorry you had to go searching, Labs, but I was.... "sitting here on the beach, drinking whatever is put in my hand, reading books, walking when we feel like it"

Welcome to the forum and hope you do come back often!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com