using Arrowroot
  Re: (...)
This year for Thanksgiving we have a friend joining us who has several
allergies, one being milk and flour - I usually use a white sauce
for my casseroles. Wondering if I could use Arrowroot and Chicken Broth?

Never used Arrowroot before any tips or Suggestions?

Thanks Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: using Arrowroot by mjkcooking (This year for Thanks...)
I have no idea, Marye, but it got me to thinking this would kill me because if they can't have milk, that means no butter either! Yikes. I wonder if you could make some sort of sauce with silken tofu. When I took that tofu class, it was all about substituting for dairy. The teacher made a creamy potato soup.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
Others who have worked with the combination of things that you mentioned should be able to give you good information about that, but I have never used arrowroot, either, so I decide to poke around the Web for a bit. As I googled for ideas about this, I found a recipe that, at first, sounds a bit bizarre, but then sounds quite interesting:

Cashew White Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 C water
  • 1/2 C cashew nuts
  • 2 T arrowroot powder
  • 2 T onion powder
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1/2 t salt
Directions:
  1. Blend the above ingredients together.
  2. Pour into saucepan; stir constantly until thickened on medium heat, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
  3. Dilute, if necessary.
This recipe was in several places on the Web, including the following variations:
  • Without the olive oil;
  • With cornstarch instead of the arrowroot;
  • With 1/2 tsp of kelp instead of the salt;
  • With a variation that said, "For "Cheese" Sauce, blend in: 4 oz. jar pimientos, 2 T. fresh lemon juice, and 1 t. paprika.
Of course, if you are making this for a guest with food allergies or sensitivities, that guest (or, perhaps, someone else) may have nut allergies, as well, but it still sounds like an interesting recipe to try SOMEtime.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: using Arrowroot by labradors (Others who have work...)
that does sound interesting, Labs. What a terrible allergy to have, don't think I could manage that - "everything-made-with-flour-lover" that I am!

Theresa, the tofu potato soup could conceivably be used as the sauce in a casserole - did you like the flavor? Did you get the recipe that you could post?

But back to your suggestion Marye, why not - that would probably work very well - I remember using arrow root when I was personal cheffing and I'm sure there are recipes/instructions on the box that I remember. Good Luck.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: using Arrowroot by cjs (that does sound inte...)
I did not miss the cream in the potato soup at all. My only complaint was her method of cooking and I would probably adjust the seasonings. She did not sweat or saute the onions or celery first.(I definitely would) Here is the recipe as it was given to me:

Potato Soup

8 cups water
10 medium potatoes-diced
1 cup diced celery
1 medium onion
1 Tb Vege-Sal
1 Tb celery salt
1 12.3 oz package Mori-Nu silken tofu
4 oz herb flavor Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese
1 cup soy milk
3 Tb cornstarch
Parsley, chives, or veggie cheese for garnish

In a gallon size kettle, combine water, potatoes, onion, celery, vege-sal, and celery salt. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook till potatoes and celery are tender, about 20 mins.
In blender, combine tofu, better than cream cheese, soy milk, and cornstarch. Blend until smooth and add to soup. Heat through and ladle into bowls. Sprinkle parsley, chives, or vege cheese on top of each serving.

makes 12 cups.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
I used to use it the same way i would cornstarch in a recipe to thicken something.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: using Arrowroot by Lorraine (I used to use it the...)

Thanks everyone - will pick up arrowroot today - believe we have Bob's red Mill brand at work Thanks

Also Thanks for Anniversary wish on the other thread. - We celebration
at this old Chuckanut Manor on the water - was a great place.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.