shrimp tempura with dipping sauce
  Re: (...)
I had a recipe for shrimp tempura with dipping sauce that had soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar, etc.in one of the Cuisine at Home magazines. I lost the recipe with the magazine. Does anyone have it? I would appreciate it very much. Leslie
  Re: shrimp tempura with dipping sauce by Lesliecsg (I had a recipe for s...)
Welcome Leslie - I couldn't find it in the archives - only a Japanese tempura, but not with the ingrdients you mentioned. It must be in one of the newer issues (not in the archives) and I'm not home to check it out.

Someone will be along soon to help out - hopefully!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: shrimp tempura with dipping sauce by cjs (Welcome Leslie - I c...)
Yes, welcome Leslie! I have only been receiving C@H this year but I will be glad to help. Do you have a guestimate of when you saw that recipe?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: shrimp tempura with dipping sauce by Lesliecsg (I had a recipe for s...)
Leslie,

That was in issue #49.

Tempura:

Prepare all vegetables and shrimp before heating the oil and mixing the batter. For the best results, keep the batter as cold as possible.

Prepare:

Peel and devein 12 jumbo shrimp, leaving tail intact. Make shallow cuts on the underside to prevent curling.

There were also lots of veggies prepared on page 18 - string beans, red bell pepper, asparagus, broccoli, etc

Heat:
7 cups vegetable oil

Whisk together:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 t. baking powder
1 t. table salt
1/4 t. cayenne

Stir in:
1 1/4 cups ice cold club soda

Serve Tempura with:
Dipping Sauces, page 20.

Line a baking sheet with paper towels, then place a cooling rack on top; set aside.

Prepare vegetables and shrimp; arrange on a platter andd chill.

Heat oil to 375 deg (use an oil thermometer) in a large heavy saucepan over medium high heat.

Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl when oil reaches 350 deg.

Stir in club soda with a fork; batter will be lumpy.

To fry vegetables, dip them into batter one at a time, then transfer to the oil. Fry 1-2 minutes, periodically flipping them with a skimmer or slotted spoon. Remove from the oil and drain on the prepared rack.

To fry shrimp, pat dry, dredge lightly in flour, then dip in batter. Add shrimp to oil one at a time to keep them from sticking together. Fry 2-3 minutes or until cooked through, drain.

And the Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce you're referring to:

Makes about 1/2 cup.

Simmer:
1/2 c white wine vinegar
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar

Mash:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 t. kosher salt

Off heat, add:
Garlic-salt paste
2 t. red pepper flakes, or to taste

Simmer vinegar and both sugars in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.

Mash garlic with salt until pasty using the side of a chef's knife.

Off heat, add garlic paste and pepper flakes to vinegar mixture. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature before serving.

Yum!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: shrimp tempura with dipping sauce by BarbaraS (Leslie,[br][br]That ...)
And there you go! Welcome, Leslie. Now that you've found us, I hope you will join us often.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: shrimp tempura with dipping sauce by BarbaraS (Leslie,[br][br]That ...)
That's it!!! Thanks so much! I tore the house up looking for it. Have a great Thanksgiving! Leslie