Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue
  Re: (...)
Just before Thanksgiving in 2004, when the magazine was called "Cooking", the cover recipe was an awesome brine/roast recipe where the brine used cinnamon sticks and cloves and the baste for the roasting process used molasses obviously there were a bunch of other ingredients. PLEASE help me. I LOVED this recipe and lost it in my last computer crash and almost never found this forum due to the magazine name change. If anyone has the recipe that would be awesome!!!

Thanks!!
  Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by dawnpharr (Just before Thanksgi...)
Dawn,

What was this brine used with? Turkey? Chicken?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by BarbaraS (Dawn,[br][br]What wa...)
I think the recipe may have been "Glazed Roast Turkey." I saw that on one of the holiday books on the site. It brined the the turkey overnight and then glazed/roasted the day of. I also think it must have been in the August 2004 issue.
  Re: Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by dawnpharr (I think the recipe m...)
Is this it? Molasses Lacquered Roast Turkey

That's too funny! I just noticed you joined and requested that recipe. This is that same thread....LOL! Welcome back!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by dawnpharr (I think the recipe m...)
Dawn,

I've looked up all the brines listed in the recipe index and find nothing using cloves and molasses.

I don't have any of C&H's Holiday books, either. Just the regular issues.

Sorry I couldn't help you. Anyone else out there?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by BarbaraS (Dawn,[br][br]I've lo...)
What the heck....just in case you don't notice the link...here's the recipe. But I encourage you to look at the link.

Molasses Lacquered Roast Turkey

Makes one 12-14 lb turkey
Total Time: 6 hours
(Includes 2 hours brining)

FOR THE BRINE--
Combine:
8 cups water
2 cups pure maple syrup
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
6 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
1 T whole black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick

Add:
16 cups ice cubes
1 fresh or frozen (12=14 lb) turkey, trimmed, goblets removed (thaw if frozen)
2 gallons cold water, or as needed

FOR THE CIDER BASTE—
Combine; Boil:
1 cup apple cider or juice
¼ cup molasses

Combine water and next 7 ingredients for the brine in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk until salt and sugar are dissolved.
Add ice to brine. Place turkey in a 4-gall0n bucket and pour the brine mixture over it. Add cold water until turkey is immersed, then refrigerate; brine for at least 2 hours and up to 24.
Combine cider and molasses in a small saucepan; boil 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees; line a roasting pan with heavy-duty foil/ Remove from the brine (discard brine) and prepare for roasting as in figure 3 and 4. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan. Add a few cups of water to the pan.
Roast the turkey 45 minutes, and then remove from the oven. Using a pastry brush, paint the turkey with some of the cider mixture. Tent with foil; roast another 45 minutes, then brush with the basting mixture again. Roast an additional 1 ½ hours, brushing 4 more times (keep the foil tent on the turkey as it roasts). Cook until turkey registers 170 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh. Allow to rest for 20- 30 minutes before carving.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by Gourmet_Mom (Is this it? [url=htt...)
Ok it's issue # 48 from 2004 called Glazed and Roasted Turkey. I found the cover...now searching for the recipe but not having any luck.

Ok, those with past issues...?
  Re: Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by DFen911 (Ok it's issue # 48 f...)
Hello.....Look up Denise! I already found it...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by DFen911 (Ok it's issue # 48 f...)
Doh!! How could I have missed that?

I was looking up brine recipes, should've looked up turkey recipes.

Barbara
  Re: Re: Help!! Turkey Brine Recipe From Fall 2004 Issue by BarbaraS (Doh!! How could I h...)
You guys are awesome - I LOVE this turkey. Thank you so much!! I used this recipe the first time I ever cooked a turkey and have used it every time since. I'm going to have have the recipe tatooed on my body somewhere though, since I can't seem to hang on to it. Thanks again!!