Chestnuts?
  Re: (...)
I have a neighbor who faithfully drops off a bag of chestnuts for me every year. I like to eat them raw and we also score them and let them sit on top of the woodstove for a few minutes.

My question for all you foodies out there - am I missing an easy way to peel these buggers? Even to score them I need to saw through them with a serrated knife. And then what? Is there a way to preserve them?

These guys are kind of small, maybe the size of a quarter, not like the bigger ones I see in the grocery store.

So any suggestions on how to use them? (Aside from LJ's recipe for the chestnut creme torte) No offense, buddy, but that sounded like more work than I want to invest at this time, LOL!

I did peel and chop some of them into the dressing last year - but it takes forever and my fingers were sore by the time I got done!

I know somebody out there will have some answers!
  Re: Chestnuts? by iBcookin (I have a neighbor wh...)
Slit them and blanch them for about 5 minutes in boiling water. The shell comes off a lot easier and they will still be raw. You could also continue on to roast after the blanching. 425 F oven for roasting.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Chestnuts? by bbally (Slit them and blanch...)
Would I oil and season them before roasting (or just throw them on a cookie sheet) and for how long at 425?

I'll try the blanching. Thanks!
  Re: Re: Chestnuts? by iBcookin (Would I oil and seas...)
Try roasting on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes in a 425 degree oven. We have also roasted them in a pan on the gas grill outside. You don't need any oil or salt. Oil will just make them harder to peel. Just make an x on the flat side with a sharp knife.

Here is a tasty recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Blanched Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound whole chestnuts
1 pound Brussels sprouts -- stems trimmed
3 tablespoons butter
2 shallots -- minced
Salt and pepper
1 Pinch nutmeg

Use a paring knife to cut an X in the flat side of each chestnut shell. Toss into a pot of boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. Peel away the outer shell and brown skin. Return the peeled chestnuts to the pot of water and boil until tender, about 25 minutes.
Blanch the Brussels sprouts in boiling salted water for about 8 minutes or until they are just tender. Take care not to over cook. Drain the Brussels sprouts well and cut in half lengthwise. Melt butter in a skillet and saute the shallots. Add the chestnuts and Brussels sprouts, toss to coat with the butter. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook for 5 minutes until heated through.

Another recipe that I have says to fry up some bacon and crumble on top.
-------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few more to try:

Chestnut Stir Fry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1/2 pound chestnuts
1 small can bamboo shoots
1 cup dried shitake mushrooms
1 cup zucchini (sliced into 2 inch spears)
1 package bean thread noodles -- (7 oz.)
4 thin slices fresh ginger
3 Tbs. peanut oil
soy sauce to taste

Place bean threads in a pan and cover with boiling water. Set aside. Peel chestnuts by roasting then set aside. Heat oil in a wok and add the ginger. Stir for 2 minutes then add the mushrooms and bamboo shoots. Stir this for a few minutes. Remove ginger. Drain and chop bean threads. Add to the fry and cook another 2 minutes. Season with soy sauce and serve immediately.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Chestnut Stuffing Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

Recipe By :
Categories :

6 cups torn bite-size pieces of day-old homemade-style white bread
2 onions -- chopped
4 ribs celery -- chopped
3 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves or 1 tablespoon dried -- crumbled
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves or 2 teaspoons dried -- crumbled
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried -- crumbled
1 tablespoon minced fresh savory leaves or 1 teaspoon dried -- crumbled
1 stick unsalted butter -- (1/2 cup)
1 pound fresh chestnuts -- shelled and peeled chopped coarsely, or 3/4 pound vacuum-packed whole chestnuts, chopped coarsely (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a shallow baking pan arrange the bread pieces in one layer, bake them in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are golden, and transfer them to a large bowl. In a large skillet cook the onions, celery, sage, thyme, rosemary, and savory in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, add the chestnuts, and cook the mixture, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the vegetable mixture to the bread pieces, tossing the mixture well, stir in the parsley and salt and pepper to taste, and let the stuffing cool completely. This stuffing may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. (To prevent bacterial growth do not stuff the turkey cavities in advance.)

TO SHELL AND PEEL CHESTNUTS
With a sharp knife cut an X on the round side of each chestnut. Spread the chestnuts in one layer in a jelly-roll pan, add 1/4 cup water, and bake the chestnuts in a preheated 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes, or until the shells open. Remove the chestnuts, a handful at a time, and shell and peel them while they are still hot.
--------------------------------------------------------

Vegetables in Chestnut Cream Sauce

Recipe By :
Categories :

2 tbsp onion -- chopped
1 1/4 cups chopped roasted chestnuts -- divided
1/4 cup butter -- plus 2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper
2 cups broccoli florets
2 cups cauliflower florets
2 cups carrots -- sliced
1 tsp rosemary -- fresh, minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs

Saute the onion and 1 cup of the chestnuts in 1/4 cup butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually add the stock and milk. Return to heat and cook, stirring, until thickened. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
Parboil the broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots in water until crisp-tender. Drain.
Toss with the cream sauce and spoon into a casserole dish.
Saute the remaining 1/4 cup chestnuts, rosemary, and bread crumbs in remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
Bake at 350 until heated through about 30 minutes.
----------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere I have a recipe for Chestnut Soup. If you are interested, I'll try to find it and post it for you.

Enjoy!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Chestnuts? by Mare749 (Try roasting on a co...)
Well, thanks, Maryann. These are all copied into my file. I appreciate the input! I never thought about the oil making them slippery!
  Re: Re: Chestnuts? by iBcookin (Well, thanks, Maryan...)
You are most welcome! I have a large file of recipes that I got from Linda (Musicmaker) and would be glad to share recipes for anyone who wants them.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Chestnuts? by iBcookin (I have a neighbor wh...)
I "second" the suggestion to blanch in hot water before cutting-- it's a cinch to do it, then!

I'm a weenie. Last year I discovered the joys of buying these little guys already peeled and roasted. A large jar sits in my pantry, awaiting their use in stuffing and/ or Brussel sprouts on Thursday.

But, really, there is nothing like the fresh ones, roasted and peeled (and, extra special, when my Dad does it for me!)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com