Apple Pie Recipe
  Re: (...)
Hello all. Although I review the forums all the time this is the second time that I'm pleading for some help. There was a great apple pie recipe that I was planning to cook for Thanksgiving in a older edition but somehow we have misplaced the edition. It was the one with two different types of apples and loaded to the rim with fruit. It was in one of the fall editions but we love to have it to cook this year. We are having a "late" Thanksgiving on Saturday so hopefully someone can help!

Thank you in advance to anyone that could help out providing this recipe. We do remember there was half "sour" apples and half "sweet" apples. The recipe also include instructions for a crust that warned not to buy store bought. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving!
  Re: Apple Pie Recipe by sbarnett20 (Hello all. Although ...)
Welcome back sbarnett20. I wish you would join us more often. That being said, your request is difficult to fulfill. While I agree the details about the different apples is helpful, I think a time range would be better.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Apple Pie Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome back sbarnet...)
There's a recipe in #29 - French Style calls for 1 # Jonagold and 1 # Braeburn. There's also an upside down apple tart in that issue. Then in #48, there is "the best apple pie" which calls for Granny Smith and Braeburn. I've been making the one from The Best Recipe Book (Cook's Illustrated) which also calls for Granny and Braeburn, but there's no flour in it. It's our favorite.

Don't have the time right now to post these recipes. Hopefully someone else will!
  Re: Re: Apple Pie Recipe by HomeCulinarian (There's a recipe in ...)
I hope it's this one - don't have time to type one in - this one was in the archives.
Classic Apple Pie
(Cuisine at home, October 2004, Issue 47, p. 49)

Makes: One 9" Pie Total Time: 1 3/4 Hours + Cooling Rating: Intermediate

For the Dough—
Combine:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 t. table salt

Blend in:
8 oz. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed

Stir in:
1/4 cup ice water

For the Filling—
Toss Together:
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/2" thick
4 Braeburn apples, peeled, cored, sliced 1/2" thick
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 T. dark rum, optional
1 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. kosher salt
Pinch ground nutmeg

To Assemble—
Brush on Pie; Sprinkle with:
Half and half
Sugar

Combine flour, sugar, and salt for the dough in a large bowl.

Blend in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until pea-size.

Stir in water until dough adheres to itself but isn’t sticky. Portion dough, wrap in plastic, and chill 30 minutes (may be made up to a day ahead).

Preheat oven to 450° with rack in the lower third.

Toss filling ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.

To assemble, roll out the small dough disk on a floured surface to about 12" across and 1/4" thick; transfer to a 9" glass pie plate. Fill with apple filling, drizzling any juices over the fruit. Roll out the other dough disk to about 14" across. Transfer to the pie, crimp edges, and cut steam vents on top.

Brush top with half and half, then sprinkle with sugar. Place pie on a baking sheet and bake in the lower portion of the oven for 25 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° and bake until crust is brown on the bottom and juices are bubbly and thick, about 40 more minutes. Cool completely on a rack before serving.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Apple Pie Recipe by cjs (I hope it's this one...)
CJS - That's the one! Thanks so much. You saved our Thanksgiving
  Re: Re: Apple Pie Recipe by sbarnett20 (CJS - That's the one...)
Oh good! You're welcome and have a great holiday.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com