Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy....
  Re: (...)
I volunteered to bring a cornbread/sausage stuffing to my brother's house tomorrow. I have a recipe we made last year but for some reason I'm second guessing myself on it now. Too little sleep and too much coffee may be making me neurotic.

Does anyone have a recipe for this that they could share? I trust you guys more than I trust myself! Thank you and I know this is rather last minute.
  Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy.... by Trixxee (I volunteered to bri...)
Trixxee, I'm sorry I can't help. We don't do the cornbread type. As a matter of fact, we do what we call dressing and is so different from what most people think of as stuffing, it couldn't be adapted.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy.... by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee, I'm sorry I...)
Trixxee - I should just stay away from this because, like Daphne, I don't make it...but you have me curious... Here's one from a source I really trust - What has me curious is I wonder why the cornbread isn't cubed and toasted (like toss with oil and butter and roast till brown in the oven) to give some body to the stuffing.If yours is similar, I'm thinking you're good to go with yours.

Corn Bread Stuffing

1/4 cup minced onions
1/2 cup melted butter
1 1/2 quarts lightly packed cornbread crumbs
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon celery seed
3 tablespoons minced parsley
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Simmer onions in butter until tender.

Combine in a bowl, cornbread crumbs, salt, poultry seasoning, celery seed, minced parsley and pepper.

Add to onion mixture and heat well with out browning. Stir frequently. Enough for a 4 pound bird.

---

hmmmm, and also cornbread stuffing doesn't call for drizzling with turkey juice while it cooks??? I sure hope someone who knows what they are talking about here, comes and enlightens us.

(I hope I haven't just confused you more.)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy.... by cjs (Trixxee - I should j...)
Thanks so much, guys. I talked to my mom and decided I'm just going to make regular old Mrs. Cubbison's since that's pretty much what we grew up on and everyone in my family likes it. Actually, my mom used to use the Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix but I've been to two stores and can't find it.

I'll save the experimentation for another time when I don't have to serve 20.

I feel better now.
  Re: Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy. by Trixxee (Thanks so much, guys...)
Quote:

I feel better now.

Good! No need for so much stress over stuffing!
  Re: Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy. by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
But, but, but - I needed to know how the cornbread stuffing was going to be done.... sigh, maybe next year, sigh

Have a great time, Trixxee - no need to add to the hoopla.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy. by cjs (But, but, but - I ne...)
OMG, I got this one recipe off allrecipes.com for stuffing that had over 1500+ 5 thumps up on it and made it for my in-laws, and all the MIL could do was to keep the FIL from thirds and fourths instead of heaping on the potatoes.

I was killer!!

Can I post this from another site? I actually staled my own bread for this.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy. by BarbaraS (OMG, I got this one ...)
Yes Barbara you can, just identify where it came from.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy. by bjcotton (Yes Barbara you can,...)
Quote:

Yes Barbara you can, just identify where it came from.

I used Arnold Country White bread and staled it for a day. You can stale it for 1 hour at 250 degrees if you're doing it the same day. And I used all white bread. Hell, if I'm cooking and eating good ole style stuffing, I could care not one whit what the calories are! RAR!

I also used Jimmy Dean's good ole breakfast pork sausage with sage. I don't think I want to know what turkey sausage tastes like until I'm dead.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Awesome-Sau...etail.aspx

Enjoy.

Barbara

Post edit: I left out the liver. I don't do organ meats. Read some of the reviews, they're helpful.

Edit 2 : Okay, it wasn't 1500 reviews, I'm thinking of another recipe. But this stuffing recipe was the NUTS!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cornbread Stuffing - I'm driving myself crazy. by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
For heaven's sake - that's my dressing recipe!! Been doing it since the 60s, except for the cranberries. Will have to try that next time, sounds good.
www.achefsjourney.com