Hot Brown Casserole
  Re: (...)
From Louisville's Brown Hotel--created in the same fashion as the Caesar Salad-in a pinch, and from what you had on hand--RICH--you will want one every 2-3 years!!

3/4 C butter
3/4 C flour
2 eggs
6 C milk
2 C grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 C heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste
16 slices bread
16 thin slices roasted turkey (I like white meat)
1/2 C freshly grated parmesan cheee
Sweet paprika
8 bacon slices
1 C tomato,seeded & diced

Heat oven to 350.
In a large sauce pan, melt butter. Add flour, stirring to make a lite roux--2 to 3 min. Thoroughly beat eggs, beat into milk--stirring very slowly add milk mixture into butter mixture. Using a whisk, stir constantly to keep flour from lumping--add a little milk if necessery. Bring to a boil over med high heat. Remove from heat and add cheddar cheese. Stir to melt, then add cream, salt and pepper to taste.

Toast bread until golden brown on both sides. Line the bottom of a large casserole dish with the toast (cut to fit). Use remaining slices to make toast points to serve with casserole. (A 9/13/2 dish is great). Top the toast in the dish with the sliced turkey. Cover turkey with the sauce-sprinkle with parmesan cheese and paprika. Heat in oven for 15 min until bubbling. Fry bacon until crip. Cut bacon in half. Dice tomato into small bits.

Remove casserole, slice into serving picies, sprinkle with tomatoes and cross with bacon slices. Serve with toast points--have a bloddy mary before and a lite pinot noir with it! Happy day after.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Hot Brown Casserole by Old Bay (From Louisville's Br...)
GOOD GRIEF! I forgot about hot browns! Since the bread dough turned out so well in a focaccia, I will either have to make some more or make this....HMMMMM? I'll put it to the family. Thanks for the reminder, Bill!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (GOOD GRIEF! I forgo...)
Been a long while for us also - thanks Bill, for the reminder.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Casserole by cjs (Been a long while fo...)
This is one of my three "must haves" for leftover turkey! In the mid-80's, DH was an architect working on the restoration of the Brown and when it reopened we went down for the celebration. I must have ordered Hot Browns for three meals that particular weekend... but back then I didn't much keep an eye on what I ate (magically, it disappeared rather than being transferred into poundage!!!).
I have lightened it somewhat in the years since, though, by necessity.

Anyway, it was developed in the 20's or 30's, as I recall, as a way to use leftover turkey and also create a signature luncheon dish for the hotel's restaurant. It was a great success.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Casserole by foodfiend (This is one of my th...)
Bill, I've got a question. Is it 6 cups of milk...seems like a lot. And for pete's sake, even if you serve 16, which I'm guessing it won't, this thing has almost 4 thousand calories!!!!! YIKES! Maybe if I don't tell them....
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (Bill, I've got a que...)
Quote:

Bill, I've got a question. Is it 6 cups of milk...seems like a lot. And for pete's sake, even if you serve 16, which I'm guessing it won't, this thing has almost 4 thousand calories!!!!! YIKES! Maybe if I don't tell them....

Yes, and thats why you eat one every 2 years!!! We cut it in half for three of us and had a lot of leftovers--hard to reduce more than that unless you want to split an egg!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Casserole by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Glad you told me you cut it in half. I was gonna make the whole thing...YIKES! I need leftovers for lunch, but not THAT much.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (Glad you told me you...)
I've never heard of this before, but it sure sounds great. Thanks, Bill.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Casserole by Lorraine (I've never heard of ...)
I had to fight for my lunch! I had a lot of dissatisfied "customers"...LOL! Thanks Bill!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Hot Brown Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (I had to fight for m...)
I saw the Bobby Flay throwdown show with the Hot Browns at the Brown Hotel. It looked absolutely sinful! I can't remember who won, tho.