need help finding a recipe
  Re: (...)
I am new to this magazine and site. I love the recipes. I believe my first issue was the Feb 2008 issue and I misplaced it. There was a recipe in there that was so good. I only made it once and don't remember all the ingredients or the name of it. This is what I do remember: it was a beef recipe it had apple cider vinegar and pinapple juice. It was a long recipe and it had to be simmered for a very long time. The sauce had to half itself. If I remember correctly it was also featured on the cover. I wish I could remember more but unfortunately I cannot. If anyone could help me I would greatly apprieciate it. Thanks in advance.
~Anne
  Re: need help finding a recipe by asofte (I am new to this mag...)
Sirloin Steak Stir-fry

Makes 4 cup stir-fry, about 3 cups rice; Total time: 45 minutes

1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
1 jar hoisin sauce (6 oz)
1 cup rice vinegar
1 can pineapple juice (6 oz)
1/2 cup honey
1 T. garlic, minced
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 t. kosher salt
1 1/4 lb top sirloin, trimmed, thinly sliced
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. vegetable oil
1 t. red pepper flakes
1 cup red bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
1 cup scalions, chopped into 2" pieces
1/2 cup frozed shelled edamame, lima beans, or green peas
1 T. toasted sesame oil
Toasted sesame seeds

COOK rice according to package directions and keep warm

COMBINE hoisin, vinegar, pinapple juice, honey, garlic, ginger, and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to 1 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes

TOSS sliced sirloin with sugar, vegetable oil, and pepper flakes to coat. Heat a large non-stick skillet over high, the stir-fry beef until browned, about 3 minutes.

ADD bell pepper, scallions, and edamame, and saute for 1 minute more. Off heat, stir in sesame oil.

Serve with rice and prepared sauce on the side. Garnish stir-fry with sesame seeds.

Enjoy, and welcome to the forum!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
Hi, Anne ... I think you're looking for the Sirloin Stir fry recipe on page 38. I have it marked Very Good - especially the sauce. here it is...

1 1/2 cups long grain white rice,
1 8 oz jar hoisin sauce
1 c rice vinegar
6 oz pineapple juice
1/2 cup honey
1 T garlic, minced
1 T fresh ginger, minced
1 teasp kosher salt
1 1/4 # top sirloin, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 T brown sugar
2 T vege oil
1 teasp red pepper flakes
1 c red bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
1 c scallions, chopped into 2" pieces
1/2 cup frozen shelled edamame, lima or green peas
1 T toasted sesame oil
Toasted Sesame seeds

Cook rice according to package directions (I thought this was too much rice and noted to make 1 cup next time)
Combine hoisin, vinegar, pineapple juice, honey, garlic, ginger and salt in a saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat and reduce to 1 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes.

Toss sliced sirloin with sugar, vegetable oil, and pepper flakes in a bowl to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet over high then stir fry beef until browned, about 3 minutes.

Add peppers, scallions and edamame, and saute for 1 minute more. Off heat stir in sesame oil.

Serve with rice and prepared sauce on the side. Garnish with sesame seeds.

Now you have it twice! It's that good!
  Re: Re: need help finding a recipe by HomeCulinarian (Hi, Anne ... I think...)
Wow thank you so much! What quick responses too! I think I am going to like it here.
  Re: Re: need help finding a recipe by asofte (Wow thank you so muc...)
Welcome asofte! They beat me to it...LOL! Well, I've got that one typed in, so I think I may have to try it...sounds good!

I sure hope you'll stick around. We love food and cooking. Having a new brain to pick is always fun!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Welcome, Anne! I made this a while back and used peas. It was very good, and kid friendly as well! Enjoy.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: need help finding a recipe by pjcooks (Welcome, Anne! I ma...)
We love it here, Anne, and are glad you could join us. Stay around, and enjoy the great people and great fun!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: need help finding a recipe by labradors (We love it here, Ann...)
Welcome to the forum! Hey be sure to give us a review when you make the dish

**passes a pineapple jello shooter....hey it goes with the recipe!**
  Re: Re: need help finding a recipe by DFen911 (Welcome to the forum...)
Just wanted to add my welcome, Anne! Hope you stay in the neighborhood a long, long time!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: need help finding a recipe by cjs (Just wanted to add m...)
Welcome Anne, glad you could join us! Hope you come back often for a visit and to share in the fun and recipes.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."