Back from paradise
  Re: (...)
I am back from my whirlwind trip to Florida. For the first couple of days everything seemed surreal because it was so beautiful; blue skies, warm air, and palm trees. I sat out on the linae for coffee every morning watching little lizards, a snail I named sluggo, and a woodpecker. I have not felt so relaxed in forever. We were staying with my brother and sil in Naples. We drove up to Tampa for Thanksgiving with lots of cousins I haven't seen in about 20 years. The food was fabulous, and we had so many laughs. I did not want to leave.

I had so much wonderful food while there. SIL made this delicious chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese, garlic, and onions, then breaded and baked to perfection. As a side, she cooked risotto with asparagus and red bell pepper, I drool at the thought. Another evening we ate at a restaurant called "The Dock" and I had Mahi mahi with plantains and pineapple salsa. The palm trees had twinkling white lights and our view of the dock and yachts was amazing. We also had conch fritters and mussels in this amazing broth as appetizers. I sopped up so much of that broth with bread cuz it was to die for good. For lunch on Monday, hubby and I drove down to the beach and found a little restaurant called "Gumbo Limbo" right on the beach. Hubby really wanted to eat at a chiki bar type place. It was part of the Ritz Carlton Hotel. Another great find. We both had the grouper tacos and I cannot begin to tell you how great those were. We ate early and were the only customers on their little boardwalk. We watched the waves roll in and enjoyed some "new to me" beer whose name escapes me. I actually took a picture of my lunch after eating one of the tacos, but I need to review the instructions Daphne gave me for posting pics.

I am NOT happy to be home to the cold and predictions for snow! I did miss you all and have lots of catching up to do.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Back from paradise by chef_Tab (I am back from my wh...)
Theresa- what a nice getaway. I'm going to Naples in February for my cousin's birthday party. We'll only be there for a couple of days. I'll make a note of these restaurants and hope we'll have some time to try them out.
  Re: Re: Back from paradise by HomeCulinarian (Theresa- what a nice...)
If I could go back, I think I would try the Gumbo Limbo at sunset. It is right on the beach. I have to warn you, it is pricey, but so worth it. Another I would like to try is "Sea Salt" in old Naples. It looked interesting and it has a little counter that sells nice meats and cheeses, as well as salts and Norm Love chocolates. I was somewhat surprised at how many of the cute little stores in Old Naples had closed.
Theresa

Re: Re: Back from paradise by chef_Tab (If I could go back, ...)
Theresa, I'm so anxious to sit down with a cup of coffee and just absorb your trip - and 'cause it's hectic right now, I don't want to rush thru.

See ya in the a.m.!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Welcome back, Theresa. I guess it will take you a little while to get used to the snow reality Glad you had a nice little get away with your hubby. Good for you two!

Cis
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Back from paradise by farnfam (Welcome back, Theres...)
I am so jealous...first Sonja, now you! I want to go to sunny Florida and eat my way through every restro with an interesting menu!

Welcome Back!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Quote:

If I could go back, I think I would try the Gumbo Limbo at sunset. It is right on the beach. I have to warn you, it is pricey, but so worth it. Another I would like to try is "Sea Salt" in old Naples. It looked interesting and it has a little counter that sells nice meats and cheeses, as well as salts and Norm Love chocolates. I was somewhat surprised at how many of the cute little stores in Old Naples had closed.

What? I live in paradise. You should have paid a visit and learned what a really sharp knife is all about. Too bad.

Gumbo Limbo is one of my favs. Did you try the black sea bass? It has a sauce to die for and for the life of me I can't get them to give up the recipe.

Naples is stuffed with excellent restaurants and a lot of good local places that tourists have never seen.

Buzz - your resident C@H Forum Japanese knife addict and insane sharpening aficionado
  Re: Re: Back from paradise by buzzard767 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Buzz, I had brought your number with me but it seemed every moment was accounted for by family. The only free time we had was Monday morning and I really needed a walk on the beach. I do appreciate the offer, maybe next trip! If I had it my way, we would move there.
Theresa

Re: Re: Back from paradise by Gourmet_Mom (I am so jealous...fi...)
Daphne, I know how you feel, we rarely go on vacation. Even this trip was very family centered and if it makes you feel better, hubby and I had to sleep in twin beds.
Theresa

Re: Re: Back from paradise by chef_Tab (Daphne, I know how y...)
Welcome back Theresa, we missed you; but, all is forgiven since you had such a nice time. In celebration of your return I went out and had my ears re-pierced...1 ring and 1 stud in each ear. I don't remember it hurting quite so much when I first had it done 30 some odd years ago
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy