I need to catch up!
  Re: (...)
I have missed you all! I have been so busy, but I think of someone from this forum almost every single day. I have made a ton of C&H recipes over the holidays and they have all been big hits with my guests.

Here are some of the best ones:

• Almost Thanksgiving Soup (can you say YUMMMMM!)
  • Egg Nog White Russions
  • Stuffed Shells
  • Creamed corn
  • Mushroom and Barley soup
  • Green Beans Amandine (to die for!)
  • Roased sweet potatoes and pineapple ( dislike sweet potatoes, but this one was good)
  • Shrimp Toast (this is really great, if you havent tried this DO! I have made this one so many times. Huge hit! HUGE!)

Does anyone have problems with keeping people out of the kitchen when you cook? It bothers me to have people hover. Is this just me? or do others have this problem?

I ordered a red velvet rope (like at the movie theaters) to help keep people out of my way in the kitchen. My dad was like, "You know the cookins' got to be good if you have to install a crowd control aparatus!"

Bare with me, I will be reading posts over the next few days to catch up on what's going on. If there's anything important that I need to see, let me know.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: I need to catch up! by luvnit (I have missed you al...)
Welcome back Laura! We missed you. Thanks for the reviews! Will have to try some of those, I don't think I have tried any of them!

You must really be enjoying your new kitchen - even with the hoverers. I am always shooing someone out of the kitchen - mostly kids under my feet. But I love to have someone in to visit with while I cook - I do tend to mess up more though! That and a glass of wine! Can't beat it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: I need to catch up! by esgunn (Welcome back Laura! ...)
Welcome back, Laura! I don't mind people in the kitchen, I think I've just gotten used to it. The last Christmas Open House we had for the neighbours, even will all the space we have, everyone was int he kitchen.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: I need to catch up! by Lorraine (Welcome back, Laura!...)
Laura so glad you're back

As for people in the kitchen I am having an apron made that says "If you can read this get out of my kitchen!" and I have a HUGE kitchen. It's why I knocked down a wall and put in bar area with chairs. But somehow they all end up inside. I need gates Hahaha

And I LOVE mushroom barley soup! That's one of my fav's...very nice choice
  Re: I need to catch up! by luvnit (I have missed you al...)
Quote:

Bare with me,

I don't think the world is quite ready for that, Laura!!

My kitchen isn't as large as yours, but I'm used to having people hanging out while I'm working, it's just like work I did have everything organized and clean on Thanksgiving, then my brother in law the Hurricane came in and that was it! I liked my condo design, the kitchen opened into the dining and living areas, so they all could hang out there.

Happy to hear you've had so many successes over the holidays! and glad to see you back.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: I need to catch up! by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm pretty comfortable with folks in the kitchen as long as they don't lean against the frig or my favorite drawer that I have to keep saying, oh so sweetly....please move.

I can't remember what I made yesterday, I'll have to look through your list better.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: I need to catch up! by pjcooks ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Good to "see" you back! I usually cook alone and have to adjust my attitude to cook with hubby or the kids. Think of it as an activity and less focus on the food. Like Erin, with conversation and/or a glass of wine, I start to miss steps and make mistakes. No recent disasters, tho.
  Re: Re: I need to catch up! by HomeCulinarian (Good to "see" you ba...)
Welcome Back Laura! I'm so glad you're back. I've missed you. Since you said your dad commented on the ropes, can we assume he's better and was able to visit over the holiday?

I do pretty well with my daughter in the kitchen, because she helps. My mother is a little uncomfortable using my stove and my knives, but she tries and I try to be nice. Most others...it's more work to give them a task and explain it than it is to do it myself. As for the "hoverers", they are invited to sit at the bar and look into the kitchen. I like having someone to talk to while I cook, just don't get in my way.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I need to catch up! by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome Back Laura! ...)
...it's more work to give them a task and explain it than it is to do it myself.......

I find this to be true most of the time. Hubby likes to help, but apart from clearing counters, refer to quote. I do enjoy him in the kitchen with me tho'
As for chatty guests and a glass of wine, I'm lost in no time. One Thanksgiving I was so involved with what everyone was saying and asking, I completely forgot to do the potatoes. Yikes!! I guess I'm way too much of an airhead to cook and chat at the same time.
The only exception I would make is when we do the ravioli, assembly line style. That is fun and seems to go right without too many oversights.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: I need to catch up! by Gourmet_Mom (Welcome Back Laura! ...)
Sounds like we are all over the board about 'hoverers'. I too like a little conversation and glass of wine, but stay out of my way. I like the apron idea! Good suggestion.

Quote:

Since you said your dad commented on the ropes, can we assume he's better and was able to visit over the holiday?

Actually that is a different dad. I grew up with the dad (my adoptive father/stepdad) who is in the hospital. My mom married him and adopted me. I never knew my bio father until much later. We had a paternity test when I was 39. I knew of him , but his wife would not let him have contact with me or my kids. Now after the DNA test she's friendly and OK with everything.

As for the dad I have that was in the hospital. THe good news is that he is now OUT of the hospital. He is still very fragile and has lost 60-70 lbs over the past 4 months. That is how long he was hospitalized. Poor guy. He has to go back every week to have dressing changed. But I am sure he will bounce back more quickly in the comfort of his own home.

And those are the 'Days of My Lives'...

Quote:

Bare with me...

PJ that is so funny! I didn't even catch that. Good thing we don't all have webcams!

You all are so sweet. It's good to be back again.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura