Xmas gadget list
  Re: (...)
OK, I want ideas, but what I really need is ideas for silicone mitts. I have discovered this year that having gloves that you can get wet....as in remove a cheesecake or ramekins from a WATER bath....would be helpful. Are there ones you WOULD or NOT recommend? And if there are other MUST HAVES, I'd love to know if I have it or NEED it!

Needing to place order by tomorrow. DD wants an iPod Touch, and I don't dare wait any longer.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Xmas gadget list by Gourmet_Mom (OK, I want ideas, bu...)
Oh I love the kevlar gloves!! And the silicone are on my list too.

Pizza stone (both of mine cracked)
1 cup and 2 cup angled measuring cup
Not a gadget for the kitchen so much, but a wine collar.
Oh I would love an infared instant read thermometer.
Silpats (2)
A salad spinner, I'm tired of wasting paper towels
Spice Grinder

Ok that's it thus far
  Re: Re: Xmas gadget list by DFen911 (Oh I love the kevlar...)
Um uh hey Mom cheesecakes really don't need much water and tongs with grippers are great for the ramekins. Needless to say I am in the camp of being careful with "old ways" over taking too many chances with the fancy new gadgets and such.

As for Christmas gifts here is some useless information that is still pretty fun!

'12 Days of Christmas' items would cost $86,609

By DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writer

Monday, December 1, 2008

(12-01) 03:54 PST PITTSBURGH, (AP) --

Given the economic downturn, even the most romantic might balk at the $86,609 price tag for the items in the carol, "The Twelve Days of Christmas."

That's this year's cost, according to the annual "Christmas Price Index" compiled by PNC Wealth Management, which tallies the single partridge in a pear tree to the 12 drummers drumming, purchased repeatedly as the song suggests. The price is up $8,508 or 10.9 percent, from $78,100 last year.

"True loves may take it on the chin for a peck on the cheek," said Jim Dunigan, managing executive of investment for PNC Wealth Management, which has been calculating the cost of Christmas since 1984.

In this tight economy, what's a romantic to do?

The creative but cash-strapped consumer might consider some modifications. After all, who needs dozens of birds?

Instead of two turtle doves ($55) why not two Dove chocolate bars at about buck each? Don't have $4,414 for 10 lords-a-leaping? How about a "Riverdance" DVD? Plenty of leaping there, and it's only about $25 on Amazon.com. Save a couple grand by skipping the 11 pipers piping and getting a CD of Scottish bagpipe music for less than $20.

"The price of creativity, I think, has to be measured against the value of true love," said Dunigan. "Necessity is the mother of invention. So this year, it might pay to be a little more inventive."

While some sources suggest the gold rings actually refer to ring neck pheasants — apparently, all the birds were for feasting — Dunigan advises sticking with jewelry.

"At least my experience, if you had to lead with something, gold rings probably wouldn't be a bad idea," he said.

They are down about 11 percent, from $395 last year to $350, the result of pressures on discretionary spending, Dunigan said.

But sticklers for tradition might also save by procrastinating. With the economy in its first consumer-led recession since the early 1980s and energy prices falling as of late, prices could come down between now and Christmas, Dunigan said.

PNC Financial Services Group Inc. checks jewelry stores, dance companies, pet stores and other sources to compile the list. While it is done humorously, PNC said its index mirrors actual economic trends.

For instance, gasoline costs topped $4 this summer, driving up shipping costs for many goods. So a pear tree that cost $150 last year will cost $200 this year. (The partridge is up $5 to $20.)

Luxury items are also up, as reflected by the price of the seven swans-a-swimming, which are up 33 percent to $5,600.

But the faltering economy has also brought down the cost of some items.

The three French hens (down $15 to $30) and six geese-a-laying (down $120 to $240) reflect declines in food prices.

The eight maids-a-milking will cost 12 percent more, $52.40 from about $47 last year, thanks to their second annual minimum wage increase.

The 10 lords-a-leaping, 11 pipers piping and 12 drummers drumming are all up about 3 percent, reflecting the general average wage increase.

As for me I want a Chef Gordon Ramsay book that has 50 of his favourite recipes and photos of them all. To date I have only found it on his website sold in British Pounds so I doubt it will be in my bookcase anytime soon...especially given Holly's view on cookbooks!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Xmas gadget list by firechef (Um uh hey Mom cheese...)
In my experience, the silicone things are cumbersome and not terribly easy to grip with. Did use the mitts when we were deep frying the turkey to lift it in and out safely and that worked great. But the silicone "pot holders" that I have are useless to pick something up with. I do use them to set a hot dish on.

I have kind of wondered about those "ov gloves" - they seemed a little more flexible to use in taking a hot dish out of the oven.

Would not part with my silpats!

Funny, hubby wanted to take me shopping yesterday for my christmas present - my choice - new stove or new wash machine - both are in a race to see who is going to bite the dust first! I declined. I really want to take my time with the stove decision.
  Re: Re: Xmas gadget list by iBcookin (In my experience, th...)
I agree that the silicon mitts are too cumbersome. I don't have them, but when I have tried to use them at someone else's house, I feel like a dufus. The tipped tongs are the way to go.

Denise, I have had my salad spinner for over 25 years and cannot live without it. When we move, it goes in the car with me. Don't even wait for Christmas! Do not pass go, and drive to the nearest store to get one immediately!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Xmas gadget list by chef_Tab (I agree that the sil...)
I can't believe what I'm about to say, but I've gone thru all the catalogs (kitchen/chef ones) and I didn't find one thing I wanted...unbelievable.

In fact, the last thing I yearned for in one of the catalogs I bought last year and I love them to death!! don't know if you all have them, but it's the 3 sst pans used for breading -

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/2438...g-set.aspx

They are great!

Also, ran across this item that looks interesting - don't think I'd ever need it because I have my chafers, but maybe something for someone for holiday dinners -

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/2458...anion.aspx

Kind of interesting.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Xmas gadget list by cjs (I can't believe what...)
Just about speechless Jean!

What about a...or a...guess not

I would love a new roll of knives for work or a new garnish set but those things are pricey for what I want and since I have three blocks of knives at home and a roll of inexpensive knives for work (had a $1,500.00+ set stolen at one job!) I doubt Holly will get me new knives...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Xmas gadget list by firechef (Just about speechles...)
Well, I just bought the only (food related) thing that I really wanted and that is the meat grinder attachment for my KA. For anyone who is interested, I got it on sale at Macys with an additional 25% rebate. Had a gift card from my birthday that hadn't been used, so that covered that.

We're going to be eating a lot of venison this winter, so a new meat grinder was in order. Since I'm not crazy about venison, it's necessary to find new and creative ways to use it.

The other item I wanted is not food related, and that is a portable DVD player to take in the car when we travel. We'll have to see about that one.....

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Xmas gadget list by firechef (Just about speechles...)
LOVE the shelf! My oven is just not as big as I remember the ones from the past. That's on the list for sure.

I guess I'll pass on the mitts, maybe test out the fingertip thingies at the store. The issue with the cheesecake is that my mitts tend to get wet when I lift the thing out...more of an annoyance than anything. I have the silicone tipped tongs on the list now, though...forgot about them. I also forgot about the taco salad bowl things and mini cheesecake pans. With that, the dutch oven, and my book list, I should be good to go.

I love my salad spinner and silpat, BTW. My dishwasher has already bit the dust, but at the price they run and just two or three of us, its not an item I can justify at this time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Xmas gadget list by Gourmet_Mom (LOVE the shelf! My ...)
Ok I love that oven rack thing! I have to get a few things from Amazon and that just might find it's way into the shopping cart