A stuffed-pepper recipe for mikey1054
  Re: (...)
For years, my mom always made the same stuffed peppers. They were very good, but once she made the following recipe, from The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors, she stopped making the other recipe, and I don't believe she has made the other one since. The following recipe may not be exactly what you wish, but it's a start. If you want the other recipe (for stuffed, green bell peppers), I'll ask her for it, and post it here in a few days. For now, here is the recipe she uses now (I have copied it from other websites that already had it, then fixed the formatting a bit and corrected a couple of minor errors, but have not done more extensive proofreading):

Hungarian Stuffed Red Bell Peppers
Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 6 Medium Red bell peppers
  • 2 Tbsp Freshly rendered lard or oil
  • 3 Cloves Garlic crushed
  • 1 Medium Yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped parsley
  • 1/4 Cup Long-grain rice
  • 1 1/2 Cups Chicken stock
  • 1 Lb Finely ground pork, veal Or chicken
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
  • 1 Egg
  • Salt And Freshly Ground pepper to taste
  • 2 Cups Paprika gravy (See below)
Instructions:
  1. Cut off the very top part of the peppers. Chop the pepper tops finely, omitting the stems, and save for the filling. Seed and core the peppers; set aside.
  2. Heat a large covered frying pan and add the oil or lard.
  3. Sauté the garlic, onions and reserved chopped pepper tops until tender.
  4. Add the parsley and rice and sauté for a few minutes.
  5. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock and cover.
  6. Simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
  7. In a large bowl combine the ground meat, paprika, egg, salt and pepper to taste with the rice mixture. Mix very well.
  8. Fill the peppers just to the top, but don't pack too firmly because the rice will expand during cooking.
  9. Place the filled peppers in a Dutch oven and add the remaining 1 cup chicken stock to the bottom of the pot.
  10. Cover and simmer very gently for 45 minutes, keeping the temperature very low or the peppers will break.
  11. Move the peppers about the pot a few times during cooking to prevent sticking.
  12. After 45 minutes pour the Paprika Gravy over the peppers, cover and simmer for 20 minutes more.

----------

Paprika Gravy
Makes about 7 cups

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp Freshly rendered lard or oil
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Hungarian paprika or more to taste
  • 1 Clove Garlic, peeled and chopped
  • 1 Cup Seeded and chopped Anaheim peppers or chopped, but NOT seeded Cubanelle peppers
  • 1 Cup Chopped yellow onion
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped tomato
  • 1 Tsp Chicken base such as Knorr
  • 6 Cups Beef stock
  • 1 Cup Sour cream
  • 1/4 Cup Flour
Instructions:
  1. Heat a 5 qt heavy stove-top casserole and add the lard and paprika.
  2. Cook over medium heat for a moment and then add the garlic, green pepper, onion, and tomatoes.
  3. Simmer for a few minutes until all is tender.
  4. Add the chicken base and Beef Stock, along with the salt and pepper.
  5. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
  6. In a metal bowl, mix the sour cream and flour together. Mix it well with a wire whip as you do not want lumps.
  7. Add a cup of the gravy from the pot and quickly stir into the cream and flour with the whisk.
  8. Remove the gravy from the heat and stir in the cream mixture, whipping it well.
  9. Return to the heat and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
  10. Strain the gravy and discard the solids ... or lumps, if you have any.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: A stuffed-pepper recipe for mikey1054 by labradors (For years, my mom al...)
This is so worth it just for the paprika gravy! I am not a fan of the rice mixed into the meat mixture, but other than that, this sounds like a winner. Thanks for sharing this, Rob! I may have to increase the paprika though!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: A stuffed-pepper recipe for mikey1054 by chef_Tab (This is so worth it ...)
Post deleted by firechef
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: A stuffed-pepper recipe for mikey1054 *DELETED* by firechef (Post deleted by fire...)
Post deleted by cjs
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com