Oil Issue Question
  Re: (...)
Hello All,

After reading the posts about the Oil Mister and rancid issues with oil caught in parts not easily cleaned, I now have a question or two about some of my wooden bowls I use for Ceasar salad.

In 1985 I bought a 14" unfinished maple bowl to use for Ceasar salad. I would crush the garlic with fork tines, add the oil and vinegar and the rest of the ingredients and then store the dressing in a glass jar for further use.

I would only clean the bowl out with lukewarm water and paper towels, I never used any soap in it.

A few years ago, my hubby turned two maple salad bowls to serve the Ceasar salad in. I clean them the same way, no soap, just water and dried with paper towels.

The large salad bowl is deeply infused with garlic and oil. I once brought it into work for a Holiday luncheon to make the salad fresh, and it just about stunk up the joint - just the bowl, not the dressing. (okay, not everyody loves garlic)

But I'm wondering about the olive oil that has soaked into the bowls that I can smell. What kind of preventitive treatment should I do? Soak I the inside with boiling water every few times for a bit? How should I treat the maple wood?

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Oil Issue Question by BarbaraS (Hello All,[br][br]Af...)
No help for you Barbara. But you know how everyone (well, maybe not everyone) has weird things that give them the shivers? Wooden spoons, cutting boards and bowls give me the shivers for some reason.
  Re: Re: Oil Issue Question by Trixxee (No help for you Barb...)
I am such a germ fanatic that I wash everything with soap and water, every time I use it. I just dont let it soak in the soapy water. Otherwise, I would end up like Trixxee and get the shivers! If the wood starts to look dry, I rub on a bit of mineral oil.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Oil Issue Question by Trixxee (No help for you Barb...)
I used a wooden bowl for a long time. Here is the end result of the research I did then. Hope this helps.

Periodically wash you wooden salad bowl with warm soap and water. Rinse thoroughtly and let dry completely. Then season it with food grade mineral oil, like Jasco butcher's block oil. Oil it several times until it will not absorb any more. After that use as normal. To clean, rinse and wipe out. If you need to use soap, reseason with oil.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Oil Issue Question by bjcotton (I used a wooden bowl...)
I wonder if leaving some baking soda in the bowl overnight might help absorb some of the odor. Just a thought.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Oil Issue Question by chef_Tab (I wonder if leaving ...)
Barbara, I do the same as you do. I love my big wood salad bowl, and most times I just rinse it out with warm water, then dry it with paper towels. Been doing it that way for many years, and so far it seems okay. In fact, I think that's what the instructions said to do when I got the bowl.

If the smell bothers you, then you might try dusting it with baking soda as suggested, or rub the inside with a cut piece of lemon.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Oil Issue Question by Mare749 (Barbara, I do the sa...)
Since it has already been saturated with oil. You might want take care of it the way we did Butcher Blocks (he big industrial ones) when they got to much oil.

Salt them... leave the salt overnight. Then salt them again and leave it overnight. Work it in like a mortar pestle and leave it til morning.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Oil Issue Question by bbally (Since it has already...)
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.