Since we all LOVE Fruitcake...
  Re: (...)
I figure since everyone said they just love fruit cakes when I posted a British Fruit Cake recipe I thought I'd post this German Fruit Cake recipe for you all to enjoy...hehehe...

Stollen Recipe

Johann Lafer
Grand Chef Relais & Châteaux
Johann Lafer's Stromburg - Germany
Flavors of Germany

Chef's Note
The traditional Christmas stollen is a cake that keeps a long time, studded with spices and candied fruit. It can be eaten at any time.

Ingredients
Dough
- 450 g (1 lb.) flour
- 130 ml (1/2 cup) warm whole milk
- 35 g (3 tbsp.) sugar
- 42 g (1 1/2 oz.) fresh yeast
- 150 g (5 oz.) raisins
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) melted butter
- 5 egg yolks
- 70 g (2 1/2 oz.) blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 50 g (2 oz.) candied lemon peel, finely chopped
- 50 g (2 oz.) candied orange peel, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. rum
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. salt
Finishing
- Flour and butter for the pan
- 100 g (6 tbsp.) butter
- 100 g (3/4 cup) icing sugar
- 1 tsp. allspice

Method
1. Sift the flour into a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the milk, sugar, crumbled yeast and 5 tbsp. of the sieved flour. Cover the yeast mixture with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
2. Wash and drain the raisins and blot them dry with paper towel.
3. Combine the flour, lukewarm butter, egg yolks and yeast mixture in a mixer, kneading with a dough hook until it forms a smooth dough.
4. Add the raisins, almonds, candied lemon and orange peels, rum, vanilla sugar, lemon zest and salt to the dough and knead thoroughly. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in volume.
5. Butter a stollen tin and sprinkle it with flour. Shake out the excess flour.
6. Give the risen dough another kneading. Place in the prepared tin and let rise 30 minutes, until the tin is three-quarters filled by the dough.
7. Place the tin containing the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, dough-side down. Bake in a preheated 170° C (340° F) oven for 45 minutes. Remove the tin and continue baking for another 20-30 minutes.
8. When done, remove the stollen from the oven and immediately brush it with the melted butter. As soon as the butter has been absorbed by the stollen, brush it again until all the butter has been used.
9. Mix the sifted icing sugar with the allspice and thickly dust the stollen. Allow it to cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to stand for two to four weeks.

ENJOY!!!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Since we all LOVE Fruitcake... by firechef (I figure since every...)
Thank you soooo much
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Since we all LOVE Fruitcake... by Old Bay (Thank you soooo much...)
Gee, thanks...I'll drink the rum and leave the raisins on the self.

>>>>>Now who was it that posted that rum drink on here that I wanted to try?<<<<<
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.