Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole
  Re: (...)
Has anyone made gouda mashed potato casserole from Issue 66, December 2007? Wanting to try it for a dinner party.
  Re: Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole by dmc (Has anyone made goud...)
No, haven't tried it, but it sure sounds good. Please post a review if you decide to try it.

Welcome to the forum dmc! We all love meeting new people here, so jump right in and join us!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole by Mare749 (No, haven't tried it...)
I haven't tried it either, yet. But it sure sounds good.

Welcome to the neighborhood, dmc!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Haven't tried them, but YUMMMM! How did I miss that recipe?!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole by luvnit (Haven't tried them, ...)
I can't wait to hear your review. What's not to love...gouda and creamy mashed potatoes. Welcome dmc!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole by Gourmet_Mom (I can't wait to hear...)
I have made a gouda Mashed potato casserole. It was probably this one, but I didn't make any notes on it, and I don't remember the bacon. I can't imagine where else I got a recipe though if it wasn't this one. Probably just left the bacon out because I didn't have any.

IT was great where ever it came from. We really enjoyed it.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
Wow, that sounds good. I subscribed in Feb 2008, any chance that anyone would post the recipe?
Thanks for all the welcomes! I will post after the holidays, I'm making for xmas eve dinner.

Thanks!
  Re: Re: Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole by dmc (Thanks for all the w...)
Here you go -
Gouda Mashed Potato Casserole
makes 7 cups

Boil and mash; Saute:
3 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (I'm of the don't peel club, myself)
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream
6 T. unsalted butter
6 strips bacon, thick-sliced, diced
Salt to taste

Assemble; Garnish with:
2 cups Gouda cheese grated, divided
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 375F.
Boil potatoes in salted water in a large pot over high heat until tender, 12 minutes. Drain, return potatoes to the pot and dry over medium heat for 1 minute.

Off heat, add milk, sour cream and butter; mash until smooth, cover and set aside. Saute bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate, then stir into mashed potatoes; season with salt

Assemble casserole, spreading half the potatoes in a 2-qt. casserole dish.Top with 1 cup cheese, spread with remaining potatoes, the top with remaining chese. Bake until golden, 30 minutes. Garnish with chives.

---

Doesn't say to, but I would rub the casserole with butter or oil before adding the tatoes.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com