Must Have Books For Cooks!
  Re: (...)
Wow, I am overwhelmed by the creativity and knowledge on this board.

I'm just a hack of a cook, but I have to attribute Shirley Corriher's "Cookwise" to my ability to be able to make some darn decent food, and with some reason and chemistry. I have lots of other cook books, but none of them scream for second. I look forward to every C@H issue that comes, I don't think I'll ever give up the subscription.

So what are your "must haves" when it comes to books relating to food and cooking?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Must Have Books For Cooks! by BarbaraS (Wow, I am overwhelme...)
Barbara, I completely agree with you. I'm in awe of all the talented people on this forum and learn something new every time I check in.

Must haves, well, most of the new recipes I try are recommended by someone on this forum. C@H and the LCBO Food and Drink are my two favorite magazines.

My favorite new cookbook for this year has been The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Baking bread has become my new passion, and this is probably one of the best books.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Must Have Books For Cooks! by BarbaraS (Wow, I am overwhelme...)
Argghhh! I had my post about done and then accidently hit the wrong key and lost it... I hate it when that happens.

Anyway, I like "The Best Recipe" by Cook's Illustrated. I also have the Best Light, Best Make-Ahead, and Best International and really like the original version The Best. It explains about the ingredient and then gives several variations with different finishing or seasonings.

My other go to book is "Lowfat Living Cookbook" by Cooper. I have really loved nearly every single recipe in it. Instead of fat, there is a lot of flavor in the recipes. We use it regularly.

Another idea I got from this forum is to check out cookbooks at the library before buying. I hadn't really considered that the library had cookbooks. We have a great system here in the community and if it's not on the shelf, you can get it in a day or two.
  Re: Re: Must Have Books For Cooks! by HomeCulinarian (Argghhh! I had my p...)
I've mentioned so many books on this forum, it's hard to remember what all they were. But, anything by Dornenberg and Page, imo, are musts in the kitchen.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Must Have Books For Cooks! by cjs (I've mentioned so ma...)
Mary Ann I have that book too and LOVE it!! I am waiting for a new baking stone so I can really get into the hearth breads.