Trying something new - Ahi Tuna & Eye of Round
  Re: (...)
Today, I was drawn to a cut of Ahi Tuna and a couple of cuts of Eye of Round.

I don't really eat beef nor do I eat Tuna, but I thought I'd try something new.

Does anyone have any really good recipes from Cuisine at Home or any tried recipes that I could start with to keep me feasting on Tuna or Beef?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  Re: Trying something new - Ahi Tuna & Eye of Round by rhetta1 (Today, I was drawn t...)
Hi Rhetta,
To be honest, I'm not for sure what Ahi Tuna is, but we do love the Ginger Marinated Tuna with Wasabi Butter in C@H June 2005, Issue 51.
Hope that helps,
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Trying something new - Ahi Tuna & Eye of Round by farnfam (Hi Rhetta,[br] To be...)
Good deal. I'll check it out. I think that I still have that issue...or at least I hope so. Thanks.
  Re: Re: Trying something new - Ahi Tuna & Eye of Round by rhetta1 (Good deal. I'll chec...)
Cis, according to what I've learned, Ahi is equivalent to Yellowfin, which you are probably more familiar with. It's a lean tuna.

rhetta1, any grilled recipe or pan seared and finished in the oven will work. The seasoning is up to you. Sadly, I don't have a recipe since we are not that crazy about tuna. My husband won't let me fix it medium rare, so it dries out and doesn't taste very good to me...not to mention being "tough". In addition, there are so many deep water fishes that we do like and get easily here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Trying something new - Ahi Tuna & Eye of Round by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, according to wh...)
Rhetta, I haven't tried the recipe in Issue #51, but the preceeding page has some great info on cooking tuna. Be sure not to overcook it! Trust what the doneness should be - and I wouldn't go past medium, this is really how God made tuna to be enjoyed.

Also, be sure to try with the Wasabi Butter or I do a Wasabi mayo and Wasabi oil that is wonderful used together.

Have fun!

Hopefully, someone who enjoys the cut of "round" will be by with some info for you - this is just not a part of beef that I enjoy.

The only way I have ever enjoyed round is as Swiss steak or a Chicken fried steak like this one -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Fried Steak No. 1

1 1/2 pounds round steak
2 eggs
salt and pepper
flour
meat tenderizer

Cut the round steak into slightly small portions and beat with a mallet or back of a knife until thin and all ratty looking.

Beat the eggs with a little water.

Mix the flour, salt, pepper, and about 1 1/2 teaspoons of tenderizer together. Dredge the meat through the eggs and then in the flour mixture.

Fry on medium-high heat in oil and butter. Be careful that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan too bad. As you cook, sprinkle little bits of the flour mix in the pan so that you get a lot of good drippings you'll use that for the gravy. When the meat is cooked through, drain on paper towels while you make the gravy.

MILK GRAVY: Drain most all of the oil out of the pan, and add about 1/2 stick of butter or margarine.

Stir around good over medium low heat to scrape all the drippings off the bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle some more of the flour mix into the pan until you almost have a roux.

Add milk a little bit at a time, stirring real well with a flat spatula to get it all mixed up. When desired consistency, remove from heat and serve with the steak.

Try serving with black-eyed peas and lots of mashed potatoes or rice.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Trying something new - Ahi Tuna & Eye of Round by cjs (Rhetta, I haven't tr...)
We call what you are calling Swiss steak, cube steak, Jean. I get my butcher to tenderize mine, but your way works as well. Here's our favorite way to use it. My mother has been doing it this way for years...both in the gravy and gravy on the side.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Country Fried Steak With Mushroom Gravy

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons milk, 1% lowfat
2 large egg whites
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
16 ounces cube steak -- (4-ounce)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 2/3 cups mashed potatoes
2 cups mushrooms -- quartered
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
14 ounces beef broth

Combine 3 tablespoons milk and egg whites in a shallow dish stirring with a whisk. Combine 1/3 cup flour and next 4 ingredients (1/3 cup flour through pepper) in a shallow dish. Working with 1 steak at a time, dip in egg mixture; dredge in flour mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining steaks, egg mixture, and flour mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.

While steaks cook, prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions, using 1 1/3 cups milk. Keep warm.

Remove steaks from pan; keep warm.

Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Combine 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and broth, stirring with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Spoon over steaks. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Description:
"My family has voted this their favorite all time recipe."

NOTES : One of the secret things I have learned about this recipe is that if you put the steak back in the gravy while it thickens and simmer slowly for 20 to 30 minutes, the meat will get fork tender. If the gravy gets too thick, just add more beef broth. Also, if you tenderize the cube steak between two sheets of plastic wrap it will be more tender. (That is, unless you get it from a butcher and it has just been tenderized. Better yet, ask him to run it through a couple extra times.) Finally, I cut my steak in narrow strips, which allows it to cook quicker. I also only fry it long enough to get a nice crust on each side. It will finish cooking in the gravy.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.