My favourite drink...
  Re: (...)
I am sure the number of Eggnog recipes floating around are numerous but here is the recipe I use...what about everyone else???

Eggnog

Flavors of the USA

Chef's Note

A Short History of Eggnog
The thick rich beverage we call eggnog, inextricably linked with holiday celebrations, has its roots far back in renaissance Europe. It was popular in those days to concoct various punches from wine, sherry or spirits, often with the addition of milk, spices and eggs. Once English colonists began settling in the New World, they adapted their recipe to include rum, which was readily available from ships traveling from colonies in the West Indies. To seagoing men, a drink of rum diluted with water was called a "grog," (named after a certain grogram-cloak wearing admiral who watered down his sailors' rations… but I digress), so it may be that the new American pairing of rum and egg was nicknamed egg-grog.

"Nog" was also an old English word referring to strong beer, and the word may have been extended to other alcoholic drinks. And there's yet another possibility, since a "noggin" is a 17th century English word for a small mug, or a quarter-pint measure of liquor. So the word "eggnog" may have been coined to refer to an egg-based drink served in a noggin…

Eggnog was nutritious and revitalizing - a perfect drink to buck up settlers facing the rigors of life in the new world. Later on, non-alcoholic versions of eggnog were often offered to children and invalids as a tonic. But in 19th century North America, eggnog, generously fortified with rum, whisky or brandy, became firmly entrenched as a Christmas season tradition, a convivial drink set out in huge bowls and ladled into little cups for carolers, friends and whoever stopped by.

Tradition
During the holiday season. from coast to coast in the United States the lady of the house makes a big glass bowl of eggnog, a rich, thick drink flavoured with rum, and sometimes spiced with cinnamon or nutmeg, offered in little glasses to every guest as a sign of hospitality. In the lobbies of big hotels, eggnog is given a place of honour on a white tablecloth near the illuminated Christmas tree, providing a little warmth to the heart of every guest.

The consistency should be fairly thick, and because of its rich egg content, eggnog should be served in small quantities. Depending on regional custom, a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg can be added. Some hosts provide a little shaker of these spices next to the serving bowl so that guests can flavour the drink to their liking.

Ingredients
For 20 servings
- 10 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 250 ml (1 cup) brandy
- 500 ml (2 cups) light rum
- 500 ml (2 cups) light cream
- 1 liter (4 cups) milk

Method
1. Separate the egg whites from the yolks; beat the whites to stiff peaks with 125 ml (1/2 c.) of the sugar and set aside;
2. using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks in a large bowl with the remaining 125 ml (1/2 c.) sugar;
3. gradually add in all the liquids while continuing to beat the mixture;
4. fold in the beaten egg whites;
5. serve warm or cold in small individual glasses.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: My favourite drink... by firechef (I am sure the number...)
You know, I've never made it myself. I think I may have to try it this Christmas Eve.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My favourite drink... by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I've never...)
I prefer Tom and Jerrys!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My favourite drink... by cjs (I prefer Tom and Jer...)
Eggnog is one of those drinks I really do not like, but Derek LOVES! It's so cute...he has a Jr. Cookbook from when he was a boy that has a recipe for a single glass of egg nog. Of course his book doesn't mention adding brandy, which he does. But he always makes his one glass a year from that recipe.

Time are changing however and he uses egg beaters instead to help with the cholesterol

My favorite drink - Vodka Gimlet with Kettle one **smacks her lips**
  Re: Re: My favourite drink... by DFen911 (Eggnog is one of tho...)
...along with a Jell-o shot chaser...is what Denise meant to finish with while smacking her lips!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: My favourite drink... by firechef (...along with a Jell...)
Denise, those used to be our drink of choice, too. We had our own special recipe... 2 jiggers vodka, a splash of Roses, and a whisper of water....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: My favourite drink... by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, those used t...)
Water?!?! That's what ice is for Mine is 2 jiggers, splash of roses and 1/4 of a lime squeezed in. **smacks her lips again**
  Re: Re: My favourite drink... by DFen911 (Water?!?! That's wha...)
I have a very special Egg Nog recipe. Buy a quart of it. Pour it into your nicest old fashion glass, pour in a healthy dose of rum or bourbon or Jack Daniels, and enjoy. I never add ice. It dilutes the drink.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: My favourite drink... by DFen911 (Water?!?! That's wha...)
Denise! Fresh lime juice? I've gotten hooked on gimlets! Vodka, ice, Rose's = perfect gimlet - drools! I even found beautiful green tinted Martini glasses for my gimlets - Bob has blue for his martinis.

Lorraine that's our recipe too. No ice Making it from scratch makes me nervous and it's toooooooo much work! I'm more for pour & drink!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My favourite drink... by Harborwitch (Denise! Fresh lime j...)
Oh what I would not give to have you all here for a cocktail party!!