Beef Tenderloin Sauce
  Re: (...)
I made a C@H sauce for beef tenderloin for my father-in-law's birthday dinner. He loved it, and would like me to make it for Christmas. However, I can't seem to find the recipe again. I have searched my c@h magazines over and over. Can anyone help? The sauce was a mushroom wine sauce. You could finish it with either blue cheese or feta. Any ideas? Please help.
  Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by jesi (I made a [url=mailto...)
Could it be "Herb-Encrusted Beef Tenderloin with Cabernet Sauce" (Dec 2000) or "Beef Tenderloin with Stroganoff Sauce" (Feb 2002), or "Wild Mushroom Sauce" (Oct 2001)? Does that help to narrow it down at all?

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your stay here, and will continue to come back for the great recipes, and especially the wonderful people.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by jesi (I made a [url=mailto...)
Hi jesi! I hope you will join our chats. As for your recipe, I will offer hope. Some of the members have members PLUS access and can pull up your recipe for you. You should hear from one of them soon.

Meanwhile, I hope that now that you have found us, you will join us on a regular basis! We love new people!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Hi jesi! I hope you...)
I looked in the archive for every combination of words I could think of but could not find what you're looking for. The closest I could find was "Red wine Feta vinaigrette" but don't think that would be it.

BUT, while I was searching for you, I found a sauce that I don't know how I missed, it sounds delicious - I'm posting it here just for others who may have missed it also. I know it's not what you needed, Jesi.

Cabernet Sauce
(Cuisine, December 2000, Issue 24, p. 8)

Makes: 1 1/2 Cups Total Time: 25 Minutes Rating: Easy

Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil:
4 cups mushrooms, sliced (8 oz.)
1 1/2 cups white onion, minced
1 cup honey roast ham, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced

Add:
2 T. tomato paste

Deglaze with:
2/3 cup cabernet sauvignon

Add:
2 T. unsalted butter

Sprinkle with:
2 T. all-purpose flour

Add and Simmer:
2 cups beef broth (14-oz. can)
1 sprig fresh thyme

Strain and Add:
1 t. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Related Recipes:

Encrusted Beef Tenderloin

Heat oil in saute pan to medium. Saute mushrooms, onion, ham, and garlic until brown and crust forms in pan.

Add tomato paste; cook until mahogany color.

Deglaze pan with cabernet, scraping the bottom to remove the crust and work it into the sauce. Simmer until wine is nearly evaporated.

Add butter.

Sprinkle in flour. Cook 2 minutes to eliminate starchy taste.

Add thyme sprig and broth; whisk smooth. Return to simmer to thicken sauce slightly.

Strain and discard solids. Add vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat when ready to serve.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by cjs (I looked in the arch...)
Thanks for posting this! We are going to my sister's house for Christmas dinner and she is also planning on serving beef tenderloin. I copied it and passed it on to her already!

p.s. Is the encrusted tenderloin recipe from the same issue? If it is could someone post that as well.....pretty please???
Meg
[url] www.meglucas.com [url]
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by mlucas1 (Thanks for posting t...)
Here you go, Meg - doesn't that sauce sound just delicious??

Encrusted Beef Tenderloin
(Cuisine, October 2000, Issue 23, p. 7)

Makes: Six 4-oz. Servings Total Time: 55 Minutes Rating: Intermediate

For the Tenderloin—
Clean and Trim:
2 lbs. beef tenderloin, center cut

Coat with:
2 T. Dijon mustard

Grind in Food Processor:
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
2 T. black peppercorns, crushed
4 cloves garlic
2 t. lemon zest (1 lemon)
2 t. fresh thyme leaves
2 t. fresh rosemary leaves
1 t. kosher salt

For the Accompaniments—
Prepare and Serve Tenderloin With:
6 roasted red potatoes
4 cups mesclun mix salad greens
6 French bread rounds, toasted
1 1/2 cups Cabernet Sauce, see below

For the Cabernet Sauce—
Saute in 2 T. Olive Oil:
4 cups mushrooms, sliced (8 oz.)
1 1/2 cups white onion, minced
1 cup honey roast ham, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced

Add:
2 T. tomato paste

Deglaze with:
1/3 cup cabernet sauvignon

Add:
2 T. unsalted butter

Sprinkle with:
2 T. all-purpose flour

Add and Simmer:
2 cups beef broth (14-oz. can)
1 sprig fresh thyme

Strain and Add:
1 t. balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Sprinkle each Plate with:
Pomegranate seeds

Related Recipes:

Cabernet Sauce

Preheat oven to 450°.

Clean and trim beef tenderloin. Trim off the silverskin, cut a flap under one end. Hold end of membrane taut as you slide knife underneath it to cut it away.

Coat the tenderloin with Dijon mustard using a pastry brush. Don’t forget the ends. This mustard layer will help the herb crust stick to the roast. Peppercorns won’t break up in food processor so crush them before processing.

Grind crust ingredients in food processor crust until finely chopped. Spread the herb mixture in a layer on a sheet of parchment or waxed paper. Lay the tenderloin on the herbs and roll to coat. Pat extra on the ends. Heat oil for Cabernet Sauce in saute pan to medium.

Saute mushrooms, onion, ham, and garlic until brown and crust forms in pan.

Add tomato paste; cook until mahogany color. The crust on the pan is where the best flavor is.

Deglaze pan with cabernet, scraping the bottom to remove the crust and work it into the sauce. Simmer until wine is nearly evaporated.

Add butter.

Sprinkle in flour. Cook 2 minutes to eliminate starchy taste.

Add thyme sprig and broth; whisk smooth. Return to simmer to thicken sauce slightly.

Strain and discard solids. Add vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reheat when ready to serve. Cut rounds of French bread to fit slices of tenderloin. Brush with oil and toast in oven for 10 minutes at 450°. You can do this even a day ahead. Coat roasting rack with nonstick spray to keep herb crust from sticking. Place meat on the rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 40 minutes. The meat is medium-rare when it reaches 130°. Let rest 10–15 minutes under aluminum foil tent. Now is the time to reheat sauce and potatoes.

Sprinkle each plate with pomegranate seeds.

----

Be sure to let us know how you like it - hopefully I can try this before Christmas!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by cjs (Here you go, Meg - d...)
Jean, you are such a font of information. Have you ever considered writing your own cookbook with your original recipes and recipes that are favorites. I'm sure it would be both unique and a great seller.
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by sophia (Jean, you are such a...)
Ho Ho Hee Hee! Ha Ha! Um, Jean? I'll let you do the honors...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (Ho Ho Hee Hee! Ha H...)
There's a Gorgonzola Mushroom Sauce discussed here , but it was for pasta, originally.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Beef Tenderloin Sauce by Gourmet_Mom (There's a Gorgonzola...)
Sophia....funny you should mention this.

"Ho Ho Hee Hee! Ha Ha! Um, Jean?" - shame on you Daphne

I do have one book out that is a compilation of recipes that cooks all over the world used to feed the families when we all didn't have a pot to p** in. All the proceeds from this book go to Chef scholarships and it is still available, if you are interested.

The next book will be out in the next couple of months - this one is "a Chef's Journey Home" which has recipes from long ago and those that we loved growing up with. There are participants from this forum included in this one.

THEN, there is the next one which will be all original recipes - and boy will I need help on that one to see if others like the recipes as much I do. A lot of testing to do with this one.

So, probably more than you ever wanted to know!
www.achefsjourney.com