Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong?
  Re: (...)
I decided to get over my fear of yeast and try my hand at the recipe below. Everything seemed to be going along well and I followed the directions all the way except for the size pan I used. It calls for jelly roll pan and I used a cookie sheet (though thought I did a good job of shaping the dough the same size as a jelly roll pan). The bottom line is the crust on the sides and bottom are hard. The middle tastes and looks delicious, but like I said the crust on the bottom is a little hard even in the center. I pulled it out after 25 minutes even though the recipe says 35-45 minutes.

Did I overwork the dough? I did use a dark, non-stick type pan and of course I didn't use the 10x15 pan but I didn't stretch the dough to cover the whole cookie sheet. Maybe it was a combination of the dough and the dark pan? I don't think my oven is too far off because I haven't had trouble with anything else. I can salvage the middle to dunk in pasta & bean soup tonight and for dipping in EVOO/balsamic but I had visions of nice, soft, airy bread.

Any insight? The reviews on the recipe were all glowing so I don't think it was a "bad" recipe.

Olive, Rosemary, and Onion Focaccia
Gourmet | September 1991

a 1/4-ounce package (2 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus whole rosemary leaves

1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 pound Kalamata, Niçoise, or green Greek olives or a combination, pitted and cut into slivers (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, or to taste

In the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook stir together the yeast, the sugar, and 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water and proof the yeast mixture for 5 minutes, or until it is foamy. Stir in 4 1/2 cups of the flour, the salt, and 2 tablespoons of the oil and knead the dough, scraping down the dough hook occasionally and adding as much of the remaining 1/2 cup flour as necessary to form a soft, slightly sticky dough, for 3 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn it to coat it with the oil, and let it rise, covered, in a warm place for 1 hour, or until it is double in bulk. Knead in the chopped rosemary, press the dough with lightly oiled hands into a well-oiled 15 1/2- by 10 1/2-inch jelly-roll pan, and let it rise, covered loosely, for 30 minutes. The dough may be made 8 hours in advance and kept covered and chilled.
Dimple the dough with your fingertips, making 1/4-inch-deep indentations, brush it with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and top it with the onion, the olives, the salt, and the whole rosemary leaves. Bake the focaccia in the bottom third of a preheated 400°F. oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it is golden and cooked through. Transfer the focaccia to a rack, let it cool for 10 minutes, and serve it, cut into squares, warm or at room temperature.

Dimple the dough with your fingertips, making 1/4-inch-deep indentations, brush it with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and top it with the onion, the olives, the salt, and the whole rosemary leaves. Bake the focaccia in the bottom third of a preheated 400°F. oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until it is golden and cooked through. Transfer the focaccia to a rack, let it cool for 10 minutes, and serve it, cut into squares, warm or at room temperature.

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.
  Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? by Trixxee (I decided to get ove...)
First, I proof mine for more like an hour the second time...until it is double in size. I also think your pan may have been the biggest culprit. Also, I don't use the full size of the pan. Finally, I leave my dough "shaggy"...not smooth like I do for bread.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? by Gourmet_Mom (First, I proof mine ...)
Did you bake in the lower part of the oven or middle? That could make a difference also. Trixxee, do you have an instant thermometer? if you do, I always test my bread to see how close to 190-200F. they are, because I'm a terrible baker/pastry cook. This always works for me.

Don't let this get the better of you - try it again!!! Also, if you have some of it left, you could make a ....... Good Lord, I just had a blank out moment ....what the hell is the sandwich called you make with focaccia and use a press on it like a grilled sandwich. For heaven's sake - anyway, making one of those will soften the crust as you grill it.

Sorry, I really do miss my mind.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? by cjs (Did you bake in the ...)
Panini? YIKES! I have those moments, too, Jean.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? by Gourmet_Mom (Panini? YIKES! I h...)
Panini never did come to me...thanks, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? by cjs (Panini never did com...)
For that matter, you could top it with tomato sauce and cheese, and bake it to have some Sicilian pizza. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Focaccia Bread - What Did I Do Wrong? by labradors (For that matter, you...)
Thanks all! I'm not discouraged. Though it didn't turn out perfect, it turned out better than I thought it would to be honest! In the back of my mind I was expected dead yeast.