New Year's Eve at work
  Re: (...)
Of course a historic boutique hotel with a AAA 4-Diamond history is going to have a special menu to say good bye to the outgoing year and to ring in the new one and here is what my Chef and acting General Manager and I came up with...

An appetizer of a Seafood Cocktail, a "traditional" Oyster Stew along with a "Classic Spinach Salad" with a warm bacon vinaigrette. Our entree choices are going to be Mahi Mahi with Orange Buerre Blanc, my Pork Wellington, an 8 ounce Prime Rib with seared Sea Scallops or a 4 ounce Lobster Thermidor with a 4 ounce Filet Mignon. The dessert is going to be Tiramisu.

With the chaos of manager changes and all the ball was dropped so we are not having a band or anything in our ball room so we are looking at being a dinner and social stop before going on to other parties. The duet plates are always a challenge but a lot of fun to plate and make look sharp. It should be a blast. I doubt our "special" menu will sell much as the acting GM wants to keep the regular dinner menu available as well which I am afraid will limit our "special" menu sales...oh well, we'll see.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: New Year's Eve at work by firechef (Of course a historic...)
I can't imagine why he would want to keep the regular menu for the night. Nor could I imagine anyone not ordering something off the special menu. The down side for me would be trying to decide which one to pick! YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve at work by Gourmet_Mom (I can't imagine why ...)
The price on the special menu is $39.95 for all the courses whereas a big steak or other entree goes for twenty-something and includes a salad or soup. Throw in a dessert and you are STILL under the cost of the special menu. From a financial stand point I'd go off of our regular menu which is very good as well and provides more choices.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve at work by firechef (The price on the spe...)
Wow - it definitely would be hard to choose! Though I think I'd go with the lobster thermidor and filet.

It all sounds wonderful and hope all goes smoothly.
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve at work by Trixxee (Wow - it definitely ...)
Nice sound specials.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com