Christmas Dinner
  Re: (...)
Well, it's about that time. I'm hoping you guys will inspire me. I have been so bah humbug this year, I'm having trouble planning my big meal.

I looked at the Holiday book today for inspiration and the best I can come up with so far is the Lobster Bisque to start or for Christmas Eve after appies with good bread. For the main event, I'm thinking about the Rosemary Crusted New York Strip with twice bakes and a salad. I liked having everything ready or close for Thanksgiving this year, so I definitely will do something that requires little work on my part just before dinner. For brunch, I'm thinking a frittata, but would love to know your ideas on something savory that I can prep the day before.

What are you guys planning? I need to get rid of the bah humbugs and get excited. With three grown kids, the meals are now the highlight of our holiday, so I want to WOW them. Also, could you include wine suggestions for mine and yours? Pretty please....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Christmas Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Well, it's about tha...)
I'm not sure yet. Bob want's ham. We aren't sure if Jennifer is going to be here or not, if she is that means turkey. I've got a huge brisket, a giant pork butt, and a rib roast in the freezer.

Me - I'd like tamales, I guess we just have to see what happens.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Christmas Dinner by Harborwitch (I'm not sure yet. Bo...)
Oooh - tamales! I forgot about how many Mexican markets sell them in abundance this time of year. I'm going to have to pick some up (no way could I ever make them).

Daphne - I'm in the same boat. I want little work. Maybe we'll just have tamales and eggs for Christmas breakfast - LOL. As far as dinner goes, I'm thinking along your lines - a nice steak and an easy dinner. Possibly a bleu cheese topping of some sort. Homemade scalloped potatoes, fresh green beans with lemon and parsley, some really great bread, creme brulee for dessert.

As far as wine goes, we have a bottle of Sebastiani Cherryblock we've been saving for three years now. I think we'll delve into it. It was a major splurge for us - $70.
  Re: Re: Christmas Dinner by Trixxee (Oooh - tamales! I f...)
Sharon and Trixxee,

I finally got and English version of the recipe for traditional, Honduran, Christmas-Eve tamales, and shall type it in for you a little later, tonight. These are much better than the more typical, almost tasteless tamales.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Christmas Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Well, it's about tha...)
We always do a rib roast, twice baked potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, and probably roasted brussel sprouts.

I can't wait!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Christmas Dinner by Trixxee (Oooh - tamales! I f...)
Trixxee, I don't want to do steak. That's last minute work. This is a WHOLE NY Strip "roast". It cooks low and slow for about 2 1/2 hours. All I'd have to worry about would be to slice and serve. The potatoes and bread could be done ahead and finished with the roast and the salad would be done ahead as well. I figure all I'd have to do the day of would be to rub down the roast and stick it in the oven. Ashley would set up the table. Set out some fruit and cheese, and I'm done!

I'm thinking more and more about doing the bisque for Christmas Eve. Can't I make it up to the point of pureeing and put in the fridge earlier in the day? Then I would reheat it slowly while the bread is toasting and appies are being consumed and saute the tails and serve?

I think I could pull that all off after a couple glasses of wine and/or cocktails...right? HEE HEE

I still need advice on breakfast. I'm thinking of bellinis (never had 'em) with and a nap after. Dinner will be served mid to late afternoon.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Christmas Dinner by esgunn (We always do a rib r...)
I'd love to have prime rib and Yorkshire pudding (our traditional Christmas meal - Turkey is for Thanksgiving and ham or lamb is for Easter), but I don't know if I can get good enough beef for it here. :-(

P.S.: Daphne, our traditional holiday (not just Christmas) breakfast is Eggs Benedict.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Christmas Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee, I don't wan...)
Erin, I so envy you with the three little ones. I wish I could "pop" in on Christmas morning at your house.

Everything was pretty exciting until Ashley left for college. (She's my Christmas enthusiast.) Now, it's kinda sad. She won't even get home until early evening Christmas Eve and will leave early evening Christmas Day. She has insisted on the traditional Christmas cookie decorating before dinner and "Christmas Vacation" viewing after. With her cookies and a toddy, of course.

I will have to say that the last couple of years celebrating with my kids as adults has been nice. Christmas day was a bummer, though...thus moving our elegant meal to Christmas Day. I hope this will give everyone something to look forward to.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Christmas Dinner by Gourmet_Mom (Erin, I so envy you ...)
Labs, as much as I'd love to, I just have never been able to do runny eggs....me or Ashley.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Christmas Dinner by labradors (I'd love to have pri...)
Labs I think we were separated at birth as far as your Holiday meals go. Right down to the breakfast!!! That has been how it is done in my family for ever. Christmas Eve was always lobster...

Unfortunately I am at the devices of many others this Holiday. I will be treated like visiting royalty at Holly's Aunt and Uncle's house for Christmas Day in Des Moines as they have a ton of respect for my cooking and professional accomplishments. As for the rest of the time, I am looked down upon for being a "cook" and not having a "real job." They do not let me near the kitchen. Then again they don't think men can or should cook anyway...such a shame. Too bad for them I guess.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)