Roasting Garlic
  Re: (...)
I am preparing a Standing Rib Roast for Christmas along with a Turkey and a Ham. I have an old recipe that I got from the Food Network by Emeril. You make a paste with rosted garlic and several herbs and rub it over the roast the night before you wrap a piece of fat around it and roast it. It is delicious. I tend to struggle with roasting my garlic and go through a couple of heads before I get it right. It tends to burn on the top and the cloves are still hard. Can someone tell me the correct way to roast garlic? Thank you
  Re: Roasting Garlic by wheatleyp1 (I am preparing a Sta...)
Lop the top off til you see the tips of the cloves, peel away the loose papery part of the clove head.

Coat in a little oil with a high smoke point, like olive or peanut. Place heads in muffin pan, cover with foil.

Roast 400 F 30 to 35 minutes.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985
  Re: Re: Roasting Garlic by bbally (Lop the top off til ...)
Since you mentioned loving the roasted garlic, I'm going to add my method for doing it and the side benefits.

I line a small oven proof bowl (foil on the inside) with a large piece of foil. Cut the tops of 2 or 3 heads of garlic and discard the white papery skins. Put the garlic heads in the bowl, cut side up. You need a bowl large enough to hold them in one layer. Pour olive oil over the cloves and enough oil to come about 2/3 of the side of the bowl. (You want to leave enough room so it does not slosh when you're working with it or moving it.)

Bring edges of foil up and over the garlic and fold edges closed, tightly enclosing the garlic. Put in a 350 F. oven for about 1 hour. Remove, carefully open the foil just a little and stick a knife in a couple of the cloves. If knife goes in very easily, the garlic is done. If not, close the foil up again and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.

Remove from oven when done, open the pkg. and let rest until cool enough to handle. Now, here's the wonderful part!! You have beautiful buttery garlic cloves and you have "liquid gold" - all this wonderful garlic infused oil!

I remove the garlic cloves, squeeze out the cloves and put on a baking sheet and freeze the cloves. When frozen, put them in a freezer bag and you'll be able to remove as many or as few as you'd like to use.

The oil, I pour into a heavy duty freezer bag or small container of some kine and put this in the freezer also. You can remove however amount of garlic infused oil as you'd like to use in so many dishes! It doesn't freeze hard solid - you are able to remove a tablespoon or so when you want to use it.

Probably more than you'd ever want to know about roasting garlic, but if you do love the flavor, this is so good to have at hand to use anytime.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Garlic by bbally (Lop the top off til ...)
Thank you this seems easy enough. No liquid required right?
  Re: Re: Roasting Garlic by cjs (Since you mentioned ...)
Wow this is awesome! Great to have a couple of ways to do things. What type of dishes do you use the garlic infused oil with?
  Re: Re: Roasting Garlic by wheatleyp1 (Wow this is awesome!...)
Oh my, just about any savory dish can use olive oil with a hint of garlic!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Garlic by cjs (Oh my, just about an...)
Especially for dipping fresh bread!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Roasting Garlic by cjs (Since you mentioned ...)
"Pour olive oil over the cloves and enough oil to come about 2/3 of the side of the bowl. (You want to leave enough room so it does not slosh when you're working with it or moving it.)"

So Jean, will the garlic be submerged in oil? Or do you not use that deep of a bowl?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Roasting Garlic by chef_Tab ("Pour olive oil over...)
Wrapping it tightly, it (the garlic) doesn't need to be submerged, it will stay moist and wonderful! How deep or large a bowl you use depends on how much oil and garlic you want to have on hand. You might want to start out with 2 or 3 heads of garlic and about a cup of olive oil to see if it's worth it to you. But, do keep in the freezer.

Roy's garlic did really well this summer, so I have a gallon freezer bag probably half full of the garlic cloves and a block of garlic oil about 3 1/2" X 6" X 3" deep in the freezer that I just cut off a bit as needed.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Roasting Garlic by wheatleyp1 (Thank you this seems...)
Quote:

Thank you this seems easy enough. No liquid required right?

No additional liquid required.
Chef de Cuisine
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering

USMC Sgt 1979-1985