Aging Beef
  Re: (...)
When I purchased my Standing Rib Roast last year there was a gentleman at the market who told me about aging the beef. He said to take it completely out of the wrapper lay it on a cookie sheet and cover it with a tea towel and place in the refrigerator. He said to change the towel as it gets bloody. He aged his for 7 days. He said it makes a huge difference in the tenderness and taste of the beef. I picked mine up yesterday. Had it french cut, bone removed and tied back on and it is 17 lbs(Hope I can get it in my oven :>)). I am aging it right now. Does anyone out there have experience doing this? Thanks.

Pam
  Re: Aging Beef by wheatleyp1 (When I purchased my ...)
I'd like to give you an answer, but there are so many variables in aging beef in home setting that after a lengthy discussion (on another forum) I've decided not to do it with purchased beef. I might if/when I have access to home grown and slaughtered/hung by someone I know. I wish you all good luck, tho and hope you let us know how you like it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Aging Beef by cjs (I'd like to give you...)
The only concern I would have is you must maintain a constant temperature and humidity which you cannot do in a home fridge. There is as much as a 10 degree swing, and humidity goes up and down every time the door is opened. And during the holidays that can be a lot.

When they age beef commercially it's very precise.
  Re: Re: Aging Beef by DFen911 (The only concern I w...)
Is the concern around bacteria? I placed in a refrigerator in my basement that is not used like the one upstairs. I use it for my overflow for holidays, parties, etc.
  Re: Re: Aging Beef by wheatleyp1 (Is the concern aroun...)
Most meats sold in grocery stores and other similar locations are chemically aged BEFORE you even buy them and most is done before it gets to the grocery store meat department by the processing plant.

We even discussed aging on this forum not too long ago and a bunch of information was posted from several different site. A "safe" bacteria (meaning it isn't going to kill you) does form in the "natural" aging process that will cause stomach discomfort and other gastrointestinal "issues" when you consume meats that are dry aged and even wet aged as you are doing in a cold refrigerator. The human body does not produce the same enzymes that it did a mere 200 years ago due to our changes in food consumption.
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Aging Beef by firechef (Most meats sold in g...)
Thanks for the insight. Very interesting. I guess I better leave the beef aging to the experts. :>)
  Re: Re: Aging Beef by wheatleyp1 (Thanks for the insig...)
I've done it twice, both times it worked. Take a rib roast (Choice), wrap it with cheesecloth. Put in the coldest part of your fridge (under 40). After 24 hrs unwrap and re wrap--put it back for no more than 6 more days. Remove, unwrap and trim all of the funk all around-- before trimming you will see a reduction of 10% in wt. Mine were always wonderful--in short time bacteria need surface to grow--the interior of the roast does not allow that to happen--never treat ground meat like this!!! I would never go more than 7 days total.!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".