Saturday(or Sun./Whatever), Dec 21st Dinner?
  Re: (...)
Don't know dinner yet, but French Toast, ham and champagne for brunch. Probably dinner will be out of the freezer.

Wish there was more Black Diamond Steak left.....

What are you all up to?

Well, for heaven's sake, maybe it will be l/o flank steak after all!!

Five-Spice Beef Wraps
(Cuisine at home, June 2005, Issue 51, p. 7)
Makes: 2 Cups Filling for 8 Wraps

For the Dipping Sauce—
Simmer:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 T. sugar
1 T. fresh ginger, minced
1 T. chili garlic sauce

For the Condiments—
Prepare:
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup carrot, julienned
1/4 cup coarsely torn fresh mint leaves
1 lime, cut into small wedges
8 Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves, washed and dried

For the Beef—
Combine:
1/3 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup shallots, thinly sliced
2 T. sugar
1 T. chili garlic sauce

Toss Together; Saute in 1 T. Vegetable Oil:
1 lb. flank steak or top sirloin, trimmed, diced
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. Chinese five-spice powder
1/2 t. toasted sesame oil

Off Heat, Stir in:
1/2 cup canned water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1/3 cup scallions, sliced (green and white parts)

Simmer vinegar, lime juice, sugar, ginger, and garlic sauce for the dipping sauce in a saucepan until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to serve.

Prepare cilantro, peanuts, carrot, mint, lime, and lettuce, keeping each separate. Chill until ready to serve.

Combine sherry, shallots, sugar, and garlic sauce in a dish.

Toss beef, seasonings, and sesame oil together in a bowl. Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat; add the vegetable oil and saute beef, stirring occasionally, until beef is seared, about 3 minutes. Add the sherry mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.

Off heat, stir in water chestnuts and scallions. To assemble wraps, place about 1/4 cup of the beef mixture in each lettuce leaf. Arrange condiments in separate dishes, then have each person add them as desired. Serve with the chili dipping sauce on the side.

-----

Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday(or Sun./Whatever), Dec 21st Dinner? by cjs (Don't know dinner ye...)
UH, Jean, I think it's Sunday.

I'm doing the corn dish you posted the other day with roasted chicken and risotto...mushroom if I can get my hands on some without driving to town.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday, Dec 21st Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (UH, Jean, I think it...)
"UH, Jean, I think it's Sunday."

LOL! I didn't even notice! Too much champagne already, Jean? Wish I had an excuse.

We are eating some of the leftover bolognese and polenta from Friday.....you were all right, that was awesome together. Impressed our guests. They stayed another night and I made that Chicken, Mushroom, Artichoke dish that came from the chef at the Coronado resort, and everyone went bonkers. Now I need to get ready for Christmas.....
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Saturday, Dec 21st Dinner? by chef_Tab ("UH, Jean, I think i...)
Sunday???? Is that why football is on???? At first I had "Saturday, December 23rd" and thought, gee is Christmas eve tomorrow?????????????

I have absolutely lost it!

Theresa, great on you - don't you love it when company loves the dinner you put together??

"Chicken, Mushroom, Artichoke dish that came from the chef at the Coronado resort" and do we all have this recipe? (please don't say it's in my MasterCook already.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday, Dec 21st Dinner? by cjs (Sunday???? Is that w...)

Quote:

Sunday???? Is that why football is on???? At first I had "Saturday, December 23rd" and thought, gee is Christmas eve tomorrow?????????????

I have absolutely lost it!

ROFLOL!

I don't think so, Jean. OOPS, I take that back. You did comment. LJ shared this a while back, but I don't see where you posted. Mushroom Artichoke Chicken Recipe Be sure to read LJ's note at the end of the recipe...pretty cool story to go with.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday, Dec 21st Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom ([br] [blockquote]Quo...)
I might add that I keep the recipe the same, but only use 3 chicken breasts so that leaves lots of sauce, artichokes, and mushrooms for the mashed potatoes or whatever.

oh, and I use 1/2 lb mushrooms and also add about 1/2 cup of chicken broth to make more sauce. Gosh I feel like I just butchered the recipe. I have made this several times and just keep adjusting. It has become one of our favs and is so easy to make.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Saturday, Dec 21st Dinner? by chef_Tab (I might add that I k...)
Roasted herb chicken and the sage corn bread that Billy posted.
  Re: Re: Saturday, Dec 21st Dinner? by DFen911 (Roasted herb chicken...)
Don't know...winging it for now. No pun intended. Not sure maybe some rib-eye steaks...
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: Saturday, Dec 21st Dinner? by firechef (Don't know...winging...)
Theresa, that's what's so much fun about cooking, isn't it?
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday, Dec 21st Dinner? by cjs (Theresa, that's what...)
I'm making the creamy paprika chicken that was posted here the other day, served with noodles and peas. I was going to make it last night but the husband came home with lobster tails from Costco - we grilled them. Very good.