The French Laundry Cookbook
  Re: (...)
Well my daughter saw me drooling over this book and bless her heart got it for me for my Christmas present.

Has anyone taken the time to really look at this book? The photography is beautiful and the recipes, well there are quite a few that I'm going to try. I know I won't have access to the same quality intgredients they do, but man some are just incredible.
  Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by DFen911 (Well my daughter saw...)
I have this cookbook and have made quite a few things out of it.

Thomas Keller is amazing!

One recipe I will caution you about....there is a flaw in the Concord Grape jelly recipe....it will not set no matter what you do to it.

Enjoy your new cookbook! Once you have read through this one pick up Bouchon--it's great as well.

A chef friend of mine who spent a day working in my shop kitchen on Christmas Eve as part of my Christmas gift mentioned that the new pastry chef at French Laundry has a book out and that it is awesome. That's next on my list of must haves!
  Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by DFen911 (Well my daughter saw...)
Have not seen that one but my Mother got me Chef Gordon Ramsay's 3-Star Chef as well as the newest CIA text complete with workbook (talk about flash backs to school!) and the companion book In a Chef's Hands which is a neat little book on kitchen tools and how to best utilize them. The other book I got was a text/cookbook from Le Cordon Bleu-Paris.

I too am deep in reading. The Chef Ramsay book has a nice narrative by him about how he got to where he is in his career as well as photos and recipes of what he considers his best 50 recipes from appys to entrees to desserts. It pretty much has a bunch of neat recipes that I too know I will never be able to completely replicate without the quality ingredients.

Still fun to read though and to try!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by firechef (Have not seen that o...)
Oh Denise, you are going to have so much fun with French Laundry!! Have made a lot of goodies out of both of the books and haven't run into any problems - but I didn't try the jelly recipe.

Great present!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by cjs (Oh Denise, you are g...)
Sounds wonderful Denise. I got Culinary Artistry, Jaques Pepin's More Fast Food My Way, and What to Drink With What You Eat. So I too will be deep in reading over the rest of the holiday. Mom also surprised me with a couple she picked up at the Second hand shop, including a copy of Best of Food and Wine from 1998. Some really great looking recipes in that one.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds wonderful Den...)
"MORE Fast Food"??? Is this a sequel? I have Fast Food My Way....better go look.

Crap, I didn't know he had that one also - I would have asked for it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by cjs ("MORE Fast Food"??? ...)
I had asked for Fast Food My Way, but DD said they were out of stock at Barnes and Noble, so she opted for this one.
Daphne
  Re: Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by Gourmet_Mom (I had asked for Fast...)
My GM at the hotel gave me Culinary Artistry but it is still riding around in the Trail Blazer with Holly along with the History of the Iowa Pork Producers (not the most exciting read!) that I got from a guest of the hotel for Christmas/motivation for the contest in January!
"Ponder well on this point: the pleasant hours of our life are all connected, by a more or less tangible link, with some memory of the table."-Charles Pierre Monselet, French author(1825-1888)
  Re: Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by firechef (My GM at the hotel g...)
WOW! I got a late Christmas present today....it has been in the PO since the 23rd, but I've been too busy to go check it. I got my Share a Recipe Cookbook from Jean, today! I've got at least 5 recipes marked for trying in the next week.

Thanks for sending that right out, Jean!
Daphne
  Re: Re: The French Laundry Cookbook by Gourmet_Mom (WOW! I got a late C...)
Guess I have some ordering to do!! Does Amazon have some GREAT deals happening....

Daphne, you are going to enjoy Jean's book...which recipes are you thinking about?
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy