New Year's 2008 Menu????
  Re: (...)
Other than bubbly (or if you're Denise, jello-shooters ), what is everyone's menu for New Years Eve?

I may get some ideas here -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by cjs (Other than bubbly (o...)
I'm doing easy...filet mignon, potato something (maybe the Potato, Zucchini, and Rosemary Pancake), salad, and Ruby Sippers (these were so good). I may have to throw in a chocolate pie.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm doing easy...fil...)
New Years Day is ALWAYS pork and sauerkraut, so I bought a nice big rib roast. Ron likes it roasted, then put the sauerkraut in the drippings and serve the whole thing with mashed potatoes. I always make baked apples to go with this and usually have another veggie and fresh baked rolls.

New Years Eve will be with our girls and is usually just a bunch of cocktails and appys. I know that one of them is definately Jean's Danish Meatballs with Dill Sauce. Another one they all like a lot is baked brie wrapped in pastry. Will also have to be making a birthday cake for Charlie, since we will be celebrating his 1st birthday. The kennel estimated his age at 10 months when we got him, so we declared New Years Eve as his official birthday.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by Mare749 (New Years Day is ALW...)
That DUCK that your post set the taste buds humming!!!

Probably duchess potatoes and something green---I will see what looks nice and fresh when I shop tomorrow.

Still working on dessert but most likely a souffle of some sort...
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by Roxanne 21 (That DUCK that your ...)
Hadn't given much thought to a menu for New Years Eve. For New Years Day, family tradition passed down from my paternal grandma is ham and cabbage for good health and prosperity for the new year. I usually make steamed cabbage wedges, but Hubby says he hates that part. So, I'm going to try the hot coleslaw from CAH #37 and the 3-cheese potato gratin on the next page to go with the ham. Got a bone-in butt portion, so will have some split pea soup with the bone.

This is about the only time each year that I make a ham anymore.
  Re: Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by Mare749 (New Years Day is ALW...)
That just sounds so incredibly good. What time is dinner???

I'm not sure what we're having. Waiting to see how many people since we've extended an invitation or three. I've done Hopping John in years past - but no matter how hard I try to convince myself I just don't like black eyed peas. So it's off the menu.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by Harborwitch (That just sounds so ...)
our family tradition has been pork and saurkraut baked slowly in the oven
with whole potatoes added. Usually start this on the Eve in the evening and
bake all night.
Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by mjkcooking (our family tradition...)
All this talk of Saurkraut, pork, etc. really has me going also - and I have a crockpot in the trailer, so we could be set.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by cjs (All this talk of Sau...)
New Year's day in Baltimore is seafood, seafood, and more seafood. Last year the weather was great, so much of it was done on the bbq. Diver scallops, shrimp done 3 different ways, crabcakes, catfish done two ways, salmon, gumbo, crawdads. I sure hope the van is out of the shop so we can get there.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: New Year's 2008 Menu???? by Lorraine (New Year's day in Ba...)
"catfish done two ways," - I'M THERE!!!!

Hi there and welcome to your new home! MIssed you.
www.achefsjourney.com