Potato Question
  Re: (...)
Is there anything in this list of ingredients that would allow me to mix this ahead to save time later this evening? I don't want my potatoes to get dark.

2 pounds russet potatoes -- peeled and grated
2 medium zucchini -- grated
1/2 onion -- grated
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese -- grated, plus 1 tablespoon
1 teaspoon rosemary -- fresh chopped; plus sprig for garnish
2 egg whites -- lightly beaten
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Potato Question by Gourmet_Mom (Is there anything in...)
Are you making potato pancakes, Daphne? Not only would I prep my ingredients now, I'd shape them-they'll be fried, right? I'd even coat them with the panko, if that was the plan, and refrigerate. Course, I could be totally off track here, just taking a guess! Happy 2009

PJ
PJ
  Re: Potato Question by Gourmet_Mom (Is there anything in...)
I find that the potatoes do turn brown unless soaked and then rinsed in cold water...otherwise I would continue as PJ mentioned.....sounds like a great side, Daphne.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Potato Question by Roxanne 21 (I find that the pota...)
They are potato pancakes, but not made with cooked potatoes. The raw potatoes, zucchini, and onion are grated and mixed with the other ingredients and fried, then baked.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Potato Question by Gourmet_Mom (They are potato panc...)
I think if you made them up ahead of time they would tuen brown. I think you can however, grate them and keep them in cold water until you need them. Then drain well in a cotton tea towel and continue with the recipe. Looks like a nice recipe.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Potato Question by Lorraine (I think if you made ...)
Thanks Lorraine. I think I'm going to do that. I had considered that, but was worried about them getting too watery. I can always use the ricer to get the water out. I just think grating everything would be a lot of hassle to have to do at the last minute. I've got the cream cheese for the Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese to serve with this softening now, so I think I'll be off to do my grating and get my mise en place.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Potato Question by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Lorraine. I ...)
How did they come out, Daphne? Looking at this again, I would grate them in my food processor right before, if you were concerned about the potatoes browning. When I think about the steps, grate, soak, drain, press-I guess I would just grate right before. Eliminating soak, drain and press.

Hey, nothing like a little hindsight! Happy to help you out after the fact.

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Potato Question by pjcooks (How did they come ou...)
PJ, it worked fine. I grated early in the day...stored them separately...water in the potatoes. They had to be pressed before cooking regardless, so that really wasn't an extra step. They were VERY good! I love new side dishes and this one is great. It's not very time consuming using the food processor and a lot more healthy than just plain potatoes. Well, maybe not with the cream cheese and smoked salmon...but I did use reduced fat cream cheese. They are good without the cream cheese topping, so I guess you could serve them that way, too.
Daphne