Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye
  Re: (...)
It took a bit of time, as I didn't already have this one in MC9. But here you go. I would love to know what you think. It sounds interesting.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Now that you've found us, I hope you'll join us often.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Rub-
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
For the Ribs-
2 1/2 pounds short ribs -- (4-6)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth -- divided
3 carrots -- cut 2" inch chunks
10 baby Yukon Gold potatoes -- (2 cups)
1/2 onion -- root intact
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dried apricots
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Combine cinnamon, ginger, cumin, turmeric, and salt in a small bowl and rub onto ribs.

Sear ribs in oil in a large saute pan over high heat until browned on all sides, 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker and pour off oil from pan.

Deglaze with 3 cups broth, scraping bits from the bottom. Transfer deglazing broth, carrots, potatoes, onion, honey, and pepper flakes to the slow cooker.

Simmer ribs in the slow cooker on high-heat setting until fork-tender, aout 3 1/2 hours. Discard onion and strain fat from the surface of sauce. Whisk flour and remaining broth together and stir into the slow cooker with the apricots. Simmer until ribs are for-tender and sauce has thickened, 30 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice befor serving. (To cook ribs all day, follow same procedure, but simmer about 7 1/2 hours on low-heat setting. Add remaining ingredients and simmer an additional 30 minutes.)

Description:
"Dried apricots add a touch of sweetness and enhance the spices in this exotic dish."
Source:
"Cuisine at Home, Issue 72, December 2008, page 38"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chopped Romaine Salad with Almonds, Grape Tomatoes & Sherry Vinaigrette

Recipe By :Cuisine at Home
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar -- or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon shallot -- minced (or onion)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
8 cups romaine lettuce -- chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds -- toasted
salt -- to taste

Whisk vinegar, oil, shallots, Dijon, and honey together in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to coat.

Description:
"Almonds pair perfectly with sherry vinegar, but any nut will work."
Source:
"Cuisine at Home, Issue 72, December 2008, page 39"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye by Gourmet_Mom (It took a bit of tim...)
Ooooooo, this sounds wonderful!! I've never had short ribs before. I think I'll try this next Sunday. Thanks!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye by Gourmet_Mom (It took a bit of tim...)
Daphne that sounds so good - very much like a lamb tagine recipe I have that we love. Have to look and see if I have any short ribs in the freezer.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye by Harborwitch (Daphne that sounds s...)
Daphne, how are you liking MasterCook?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye by bjcotton (Daphne, how are you ...)
have I made this?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye by cjs (have I made this? [...)
Billy, I'm not one of the ones new to MC9. You helped me with it a couple years ago via email. I remember thinking it was so sweet, you didn't know me from Adam, but were willing to exchange several emails to help a stranger. You were such a big help and so patient with a multitude of questions....LOL! You know, I never did get it where I could send a recipe straight to email. I think it's how my email provider is set up. But I still love it and you endeared yourself to me forever.

LOL...poor Jean...so many recipes...and all that. Actually, I don't think you have. You never mentioned it and were not very excited when this issue came out. It could be you didn't notice it...I didn't. It was in the December Issue...the one that had a lot of sweets and party stuff.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye by Gourmet_Mom (Billy, I'm not one o...)
a couple of old farts that remember anything, Daphne....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye by cjs (a couple of old fart...)
LOL!
Daphne
I am so making this on Sunday!! Just showed the recipe in the issue to the hubby and he's had them before, his mom used to broil them.

I've never had them and can't wait!!

I'm also doing the beef stock this weekend - the one Jean posted instead of the ATK recipe. Has anyone ever called a market to ask for marrow or ***** bones? We have no butchers around here anymore. Where do you get these stock bones from?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Slow-Cooked Moroccan Short Ribs- for Jaye by BarbaraS (I am so making this ...)
When you figure that out, let me know...especially veal. I do chicken, but beef continues to elude me. I could do stock from beef, but a true stock is from veal.......One day...........
Daphne