Vodka pie crust?
  Re: (...)
So I was surfing through channels yesterday during our snowstorm, and I came across America's Test Kitchen on PBS. Someone had written in, saying how her blueberry pie never came out right, the crust was always tough and the berries were all runny. Their solution to the perfect pie crust is to use 1/4 c water and 1/4 c vodka!! They insisted that it made the dough wet enough to work with and the alcohol evaporates during the cooking leaving a tender, flaky crust.

I don't make pie crusts, but if I could drink 1/4 cup of vodka I just might try it! What do all you bakers out there think?

Sally
  Re: Vodka pie crust? by lxxf (So I was surfing thr...)
Sounds like something I may have to give a shot, just for the heck of it. I can't wait to see what PJ has to say....where is she, anyway? She hasn't posted in days.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Vodka pie crust? by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds like somethin...)
I've made the vodka pie crust a couple of times. It makes a really nice flaky crust.
  Re: Re: Vodka pie crust? by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds like somethin...)
Quote:

Sounds like something I may have to give a shot,

No pun intended, eh?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Vodka pie crust? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
give it a shot...give me two shots...who's counting?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Vodka pie crust? by chef_Tab (give it a shot...giv...)
I think 4 oz is two shots!
  Re: Vodka pie crust? by lxxf (So I was surfing thr...)
I made this, Sally, and it came out pretty good. It's still easier to buy Pillsbury, though

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Vodka pie crust? by pjcooks (I made this, Sally, ...)
where have you been, PJ? I haven't tried it - 'cause I, like PJ have morphed into the Pillsbury camp.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vodka pie crust? by pjcooks (I made this, Sally, ...)
I'm with you, PJ. The last pie I made was toll house pie last month and I used the frozen deep-dish pie crust. It was fine.

Sally
  Re: Re: Vodka pie crust? by lxxf (I'm with you, PJ. T...)
Oh, I love the new Pillsbury...well, not new, but the kind that comes rolled up. I especially like it with pot pies. But I still may try this one time for a lark...just to see the difference and to be able to shock people that I made a pie crust with vodka...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.