Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review
  Re: (...)
I made this last night, mostly on a lark to see if it was anything like my grandmother's Chicken Pastry. At the time, I didn't notice it had milk and cream in it.

Changes:
-I used my pasta roller to roll out the sheets.
-I had to add a lot of flour to get it to roll out and it still turned out wet.

Recommendations:
-Refrigerate your dough for 20-30 minutes before rolling...just like you would with any dough. This should be in the original and am surprised it was not.
-I will probably use my grandmother's recipe for the pastry. Her's does not use egg or baking powder, just broth and flour.

The flavor of the broth was WONDERFUL. I will be making it again. The problem was all in the noodles...see above. Since they were so wet, they wanted to fold over when placed in the pot, even with a gentle stir as directed. When done (it took much longer due to the folding issue), some of the "noodles" were nice and thin and lovely, but some were thick and chewy. Also, rolling the wet dough in the pasta machine was a nightmare. I only took it to 4, while I take my grandmother's to 6. I honestly don't think the machine was the issue. I feel I would have had the same problem rolling by hand....probably worse. I WILL make this again when I want to dress up my grandmother's recipe, but with recommendations above. The broth/flavor was a 10, but the noodles were a 4 or less.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review by Gourmet_Mom (I made this last nig...)
Yum, this is a good one Daph. I was intending to make this one last week, but I got put off with the whole noodle thing and did the regular dumpling one on the next page. It was very similiar and yummy!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review by farnfam (Yum, this is a good ...)
I am probably having a brain phart, but where is this recipe?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review by chef_Tab (I am probably having...)
Here it is, I think it's Issue 43

Chicken and Noodle Dumplings

Recipe By :
Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups onion -- diced
2 cups carrot -- sliced diagonally 1/4-inch thick
1 cup celery -- diced
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 cups cooked chicken -- shredded
1/2 cup frozen green peas
Salt and white pepper
NOODLE DUMPLINGS:
1 egg
Reserved milk broth
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Tabasco to taste (optional)

Sweat onion, carrot, celery, and herbs in butter in a covered Dutch oven or large pot over medium-low heat. Cook for 15 minutes, or until carrot is fork tender. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute.

Deglaze with wine and lemon juice, then whisk in broth, milk, and cream. Remove and reserve 1 cup of the milk-broth mixture, then add chicken, peas, salt, and pepper.

For noodle dumplings, whisk egg and reserved milk-broth together; set aside.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl; make a well and stir in egg-broth mixture until a stiff dough forms. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; cut in half and roll each piece 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough into 1 1/2- x 4-inch strips, then add to simmering soup 1 or 2 at a time, stirring after each addition. Cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until dumplings are cooked and no longer doughy.

Finish soup with Tabasco if desired.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, October 2007"
Yield:
"2 1/2 quarts"
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review by farnfam (Here it is, I think ...)
The flavor is so good! Cis, give it a try with the recommendations. If you don't make your own pasta, use any hearty pasta like wide egg noodles, papperadilla(sp?), or even macaroni. One of my kids' favorite meals when they were little was chicken broth with macaroni. They would have died and gone to heaven with this thicker more flavorful broth.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review by Gourmet_Mom (The flavor is so goo...)
Well, Daph, I do make my own pasta, but this seems so....mushy. But I must try it, anyway. We totally loved it with the regular dumplings that day tho'
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review by farnfam (Well, Daph, I do mak...)
Cis, if you make your own pasta, try this:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup broth

Mix like pasta, chill, and roll out sheets. Cut and go. You may not need all the strips and you can always cook it to the texture you want. Since you're familiar with dumplings, you may not like the mouth feel of the soft fluffy pastry. Let me know.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review by Gourmet_Mom (Cis, if you make you...)
Good idea, Daph. I'll try that for sure.
"May not need all the strips"....no such thing as too much pasta lol
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Chicken and Noodle Dumpling-Review by farnfam (Good idea, Daph. I'...)
Interesting thread Dahphne & Cis.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com