Macaroni and Cheese Question
  Re: (...)
My little sis is coming down today, and my older sis will be here too, along with the 800 lb gorilla and I. I was wondering what combination of these cheeses you would use to make a tasty mac & cheese. I think the Jalapeno/Habanero Jack might be a little hot for some of us.

Sharp Cheddar
English Cheddar
Parmesan
Fromage Fort (made by Whole Foods)
Pecorino Romano
Comté
Asiago
Jalapeno/Habanero Jack

I'll be using an 11 3/4 X 15 3/4 baking dish...remember the 800 pound gorilla is here
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Macaroni and Cheese Question by bjcotton (My little sis is com...)
Sorry, no help here Billy. Personally, I think any or all would work, but while I have started adding cheese to my plate more and more these days, I still don't do mac and cheese. Bad school experience as a child.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Macaroni and Cheese Question by bjcotton (My little sis is com...)
Here's the message where I describe how we used to make mac & cheese at Wolfgang's.

The cheeses we used were: a Cheddar-based sauce mix, Mozzarella, Fontina, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Of the cheeses you mentioned, the other ones that would be really good would be the Pecorino Romano and the Asiago. Fresh cheddar can sometimes be difficult, since it can break into an oily mess. Pepper jack would be good, but would depend upon the heat sensitivity of the guests.

You could also lean in the direction of a cheese fondue by using Jarlsberg, Emmentaler, and Gruyère - gooey and good!

Have fun!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Macaroni and Cheese Question by labradors ([url=http://www.foru...)
But, but, Rob, I don't have any of those three cheeses

Guess I'll just fake it like I know what I'm doing. I have made it before, but don't remember what I used.

Billy
  Re: Re: Macaroni and Cheese Question by bjcotton (But, but, Rob, I don...)
Billy, I'm not familiar with all of the ones you mentioned. Is any of them soft and/or gooey? If so, I think I'd pick that one if it isn't too strongly flavored, and add it to the cheddar, parmesan, etc.
Of course you know I'm going to mouth off here - throw some of all of them in! Even a bit of the pepperjack - it'll add a nice little kick. Oh - don't forget some fresh grated nutmeg - just a little.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
Quote:

But, but, Rob, I don't have any of those three cheeses

Oops! Sorry. Didn't realise that was an inventory list and not just an idea list. :-(
  Re: Re: Macaroni and Cheese Question by sophia (Billy, I'm not famil...)
No Sophia, none of them are really soft. The cheddars are the softest. I've only tasted the Asiago once and couldn't wait to get the taste out of my mouth. Bought it for my BIL.

Sharon, of course I knew you'd say that! After all, you and Bob eat lamb and duck and I'm not sure what else

That's okay Rob...good ideas though. I do have some cream cheese I might add. Have never tasted the Comté, but bought it to I could taste and decide whether I liked it or not.

Billy
  Re: Re: Macaroni and Cheese Question by bjcotton (No Sophia, none of t...)
Quote:

I've only tasted the Asiago once and couldn't wait to get the taste out of my mouth.

Pity. That's one that I would suggest. It IS abit strong for some people, though, but would probably work well blended with other things, such as the Pecorino-Romano.

Some other points about Asiago:
  • Panera Bread makes an absolutely incredible Asiago BAGEL! Simply fantastic!
  • Once, when I was telling someone about Asiago cheese over the phone, she said, "What? Ozzy Osbourne cheese?" LOL!
  Re: Re: Macaroni and Cheese Question by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Billy,

NY State Sharp Cheddar (white)!!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.