Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd??
  Re: (...)
Since I had some leftover prime rib and also boursin mashed potatoes, decided to try the "Leftover Prime Rib 'Sushi'" (from the website - whatwereeating.com that Laura posted)for an appy tonight. Kind of a bast*rdized version, since I'm using up leftovers, but I did pick up asparagus, collard greens and a portabella.

Then have Squash, Bean & Corn Stew (from Food & Wine) for dinner.

What's everyone else up to?

I made a double batch of pizza dough yesterday and I'm holding it in the fridge for two days before I freeze it - I've heard this helps the flavor. Has anyone done this? And does it help the flavor?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by cjs (Since I had some lef...)
Jean, I do that often. I think it helps the flavor a lot.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by Dismc (Jean, I do that ofte...)
thanks, good to know.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by cjs (thanks, good to know...)
Hi Jean!
I've done the pizza dough thing and have found no difference in flavour. But I discovered that yeast can still work in the fridge! I put the dought in a bowl, used plastic wrap and yet the following day the shelf I had placed the dough on was completely covered in stiff pizza dough! very annoying to clean LOL
Bearhugs,
Marina
Oh! Dinner tonite? I think pizza sounds good since I had no plans yet!
  Re: Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by marzyn (Hi Jean![br]I've don...)
We are having left over Gumbo Pot Pie from one of the Weeknight cookbooks. My bigger problem is deciding what to have this weekend. My son in law will be here and he does not like seafood, onions, peppers, or mushrooms. I feel so limited!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by chef_Tab (We are having left o...)
Homemade pizza here!!! Haven't had this for about six months sooo----AWESOME!!!

Oh---and a salad
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by Roxanne 21 (Homemade pizza here!...)
"he does not like seafood, onions, peppers, or mushrooms." - wow, what a challenge for you!

So far, the container I put the dough in is keeping it contained, but I do keep checking...

I just made the soup for tonight and it's delicious!! It's a Food & Wine recipe and I'm having trouble staying out of it!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Squash, Bean, and Corn Stew

1/4 cup olive oil
2 onions -- sliced thin
2 cloves garlic -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons drained chopped pimentos (one 4-ounce jar)
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (from a 15-ounce can)
1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds) -- peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1-inch dice
1 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups drained and rinsed canned kidney beans (one 19-ounce can)
2 cups fresh (cut from about 4 ears) or frozen corn kernels
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)

In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, cayenne, and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.

Stir in the pimientos, tomatoes, squash, water, and salt and bring to a simmer. Cook the stew, covered, stirring occasionally, until the squash is almost tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer vigorously until almost no liquid remains in the pan, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and corn and cook until the corn is just tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the basil.

VARIATIONS:

Add one cup of diced ham along with the beans and corn.

Use peeled, cubed pumpkin or acorn squash instead of the butternut squash.

WINE RECOMMENDATION: Gewurztraminers from Alsace have a unique combination of aromas: rose petals, ripe apricots, and musky spice. Though called dry, these wines usually contain a bit of residual sugar--a real plus for this dish, with its sweet squash and corn.

Description:
"Beans, an essential part of the South American diet, join other staples from that part of the world; corn, squash, and tomatoes in this extremely popular Chilean vegetable stew. We've chosen kidney beans, but you can use pinto, cannellini, or any type you prefer"
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by chef_Tab (We are having left o...)
Quote:

We are having left over Gumbo Pot Pie from one of the Weeknight cookbooks. My bigger problem is deciding what to have this weekend. My son in law will be here and he does not like seafood, onions, peppers, or mushrooms. I feel so limited!

Your son-in-law needs re-training.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Your son-in-law needs re-training."

I agree! I made my kids eat everything, except the older daughter that did not like chocolate. I knew that situation would correct itself soon enough. I am so tired of grilled chicken breasts, broccoli, and rice when they come visit. I got excited when I was looking at Jean's recipe above till I noticed the onions. Oh, yeah, and he doesn't like soup either! Lucky for him, he is wonderful in every other way.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd?? by chef_Tab ("Your son-in-law nee...)
Quote:

Dinner - Thursday, Jan. 23rd??

Which is this supposed to be - Thursday (which is the 22nd) or the 23rd (which as Friday)?

There's still a little confusion about the proper, local translation of róbalo but it's either snook or a type of sea bass (not Chilean Sea Bass, which is not a bass, at all, but is actually just a more appetising marketing name for the "Patagonian Toothfish").

Whichever it is, it is one of the kinds of fish I like here, and I am thinking about making the following recipe for tonight.

Róbalo in Mango Salsa
4 Servings

INGREDIENTS
  • 4 Róbalo (snook or sea bass – not Chilean) fillets (or your choice of fish)
  • 3 Sprigs Cilantro, chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Canola oil for frying
MANGO SALSA
  • 2 Mangoes
  • 1 Chipotle chile in adobo sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
  • 1/4 C White vinegar
  • 1/4 C Water (approx.)
  • Powdered chicken bouillon to taste
PREPARATION
  1. Rinse the fillets, dry them with paper towels and season with saly and pepper.
  2. In a non-stick pan, heat a little oil and fry the fillets until almost golden.
  3. FOR THE SALSA: Purée the mangoes, the chipotle, lemon juice and vinegar. Little by little, pour in just enough water to obtain a light consistency; season with the bouillon powder.
  4. Plate the róbalo covered with mango salsa, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with white rice.
(Source: Translated from the Spanish at NutriMundo)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?