Hey Grandpa, what's for Supper?
  Re: (...)
Tonight we're having butter beans (large limas) cooked with a ham bone, cornbread and a green salad. What are you having?
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Hey Grandpa, what's for Supper? by bjcotton (Tonight we're having...)
Take out from the largest Shop Rite recently built in the USA because I had a Dr's appt at 5:30 and took the night off.

OMG, this place is HUGE. More later with a review. I'm shopping there this Saturday.

I predict the Acme two miles away will be out of biz in 6 months.

Barbara<~~~grew up on A&P and Acme...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Hey Grandpa, what's for Supper? by BarbaraS (Take out from the la...)
Oh Billy...you went straight for my heart with the butter beans cooked in ham bone with corn bread! Granted, we use the baby limas or butter !beans here....they're much better...to me, anyway! And the pot licker....MMMMMMMMM! Drink it like soup!

As I mentioned before, I'm trying out the Almond-Crusted Turkey Tenderloin from the current issue. Review later.....I haven't decided whether to use the side mentioned in the book...olive oil mashers. I just can't wrap my brain around it. Garlicky Green Beans will be the other side. It's almost done...gotta go!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hey Grandpa, what's for Supper? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Billy...you went ...)
already answered this and it was good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hey Grandpa, what's for Supper? by Gourmet_Mom (Oh Billy...you went ...)
Daphne, we can't find anything labeled "butter beans" here, we only have a choice of small or large limas. I think they're the same thing. Love 'em!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Hey Grandpa, what's for Supper? by bjcotton (Daphne, we can't fin...)
I get the baby limas. I used to never buy the frozen because the skin would come out tough....compared to growing up with fresh. I sure hated shelling those little buggers, but they sure were good!

In the past few years, my mother discovered the secret. She accidentally let a bag thaw in the fridge before cooking, but cooked them anyway....BINGO! That solved the tough skin problem! If you haven't tried it...give it a shot. You will also find you don't need to cook them as long either! YUMMMY! Butter beans (baby limas) with fried corn bread is a family favorite here!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hey Grandpa, what's for Supper? by Gourmet_Mom (I get the baby limas...)
We had the beef filets with port wine sauce---Cuisine for Two recipe----I agree with others here....it is a GREAT dinner!!!! Also made the green beans with Dijon as the side suggested......YUMM!!! Will do again AND the best part is that it is a very easy meal to prepare.
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy