Review - L/O Prime Rib "Sushi"
  Re: (...)
Well, must say I had the most unexpected reaction from this recipe - really surprised myself. After the first couple of bites all I could think was, "What's the point of this?"

The flavors were wonderful, but it's too large to be an appy, it would be too hard to cut into slices to eat without distroying the whole roll; it can be eaten out of hand, but can also be messy.

Leftover Prime Rib "Sushi"

2 large portobello mushroom cap -- stem removed, cut into 1/2" thick slices
1 tsp canola oil
6 large collard green leaves -- stems carefully removed while keeping the leaves intact
1 slice leftover (cooked) Prime Rib Roast -- (1/2” thick) cut into 1/2" thick strips
blue cheese parsnip potato mash (recipe follows)(I had l/o Boursin mashed tatoes)
roasted asparagus (recipe follows)
kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Cabernet Port Reduction (recipe follows)

Place one large pot of water of high heat. Bring to a boil and season liberally with kosher salt.
Add collard leaves to the boiling water. Blanche greens for 1-2 minutes until vivid green and just cooked. Carefully remove greens from water, trying not to tear the leaves, and set aside.

Place a small sauté pan w/ 1 tsp canola oil over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add the mushroom slices. Season with a pinch of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Sauté for 5-10 minutes until the mushroom has cooked through. Remove from pan and reserve.
Place sauté pan back on burner and raise heat to medium high. Add prime rib to the skillet and just heat through, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.

Assemble sushi: Lay out two whole collard green leaves. Position the leaves so that there is no gap where the stem has been removed and all edges are over lapping. Spread out about a 4” wide layer of parsnip potato mash across the collard greens (running across all the leaves, not running down 1 leaf). The mash will act as the "rice" in the "sushi".

Next, lay strips of beef down the middle of the mashed parsnips and potatoes. Beside the beef place a row of sautéed mushroom strips and a row of roasted asparagus.

Carefully roll up the sushi so that the beef, mushrooms, and asparagus are nestled in the middle of the mash and greens. Place the roll seam side down then slice into 3/4" wide pieces. Be careful not to smash the roll as you're cutting it or the filling will all come out!

Repeat the assemble process with the rest of the ingredients.

To serve, drizzle Cabernet Port Reduction down the center of a plate. Place sushi rolls on top of the reduction. Serve and enjoy!
----

Now, this Cab reduction is wonderful - almost as good as the sweeter one I use for fruit/anything calling for sweeter. It's savory and doesn't get thick, just really concentrated flavors - absolutely wonderful!

Cabernet-Port Reduction
1 1/2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
3/4 cup Port
3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup mushroom stems, (use the caps for something else where you actually eat the mushroom!)
1 sprig lavender
1 sprig oregano
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
kosher salt

Place all ingredients for the reduction except kosher salt into a saucepan. Place pan over medium heat. Allow the ingredients to come to a simmer. Simmer over medium heat until the liquid has reduced to about 1/3 cup. Strain reduction using a chinois or fine-mesh sieve. Discard the herbs and mushroom stems. Season the strained reduction with kosher salt to taste. The reduction can be made up to 48 hours in advance.
-----

Laura found this on www.whatwereeating.com website

So, what I've decided to do is use all the above ingredients in some different way, but don't know how as yet - lots of ideas swimming around in my head.

I'm tempted to post these ingredients as a Mystery Bag dinner and see what we all come up with - wouldn't that be fun?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com