OT - Menopause
  Re: (...)
I sent the following email to my sisters and decided to post it here for my many friends.

I was watching Oprah yesterday (January 23rd) and they were talking about how peri-menopause and menopause made women feel. Robin McGraw talked about how she was feeling at one time and how the Dr. treated her. She said, she was down, kind of depressed, irritable, etc., so she went to the Dr. and she (the Dr. was about 30 years old) told her that she had started menopause and tossed her several prescriptions and told her she would need to take these, and, oh by the way, here was a prescription for an anti-depressant. Robin later attended a ball game where her son was playing and sat next to another Dr. who was one of her friends and described what was going on and what her Dr. had said. The friend said that she might not need all of the prescriptions and to have her hormones checked. So Robin began researching menopause and then wrote "What's age got to do with it?" describing the end results of her research. Another woman, Dr. Christiane Northrup, wrote a book about her research into menopause, "The Wisdom of Menopause." These two women both came to the same conclusion, just because you're in menopause you DON'T have to feel bad mentally or physically.

You should have your hormones checked, specifically, progesterone, estrogen, and testosterone. Apparently the doctors replies about these hormones tends to be, "Oh yours are in the normal zone!" Just because they are in the normal zone does not mean they are normal for you. I think you should get these two books, read them and check into "Bio-identical Hormones". Also, check www.oprah.com for their discussions on yesterdays show. I learned quite a bit watching the show and would like to see you and Carol feeling better. The woman, Robin McGraw, said she had never felt better since she had begun the bio-identical hormone treatment. They had several women interviewed that had done the same thing after reading the books and said that after 1 week they were feeling like their old selves.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: OT - Menopause by bjcotton (I sent the following...)
Well I must say I'm still at the phase where the hotflashes amuse me.

The sleepless nights I hate, but they pass. I'm going to treat this experience like the olympics.

**holds her torch up high and yells - Let the Games Begin!**
  Re: Re: OT - Menopause by DFen911 (Well I must say I'm ...)
It also can be dangerous to mess with hormones... "she was down, kind of depressed, irritable, etc.," are natural feelings. Hormonal therapy is not natural.

Every woman does not want to mess with these things. Some do, and that's fine also.

Time to get back in the kitchen???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT - Menopause by DFen911 (Well I must say I'm ...)
Billy - you are a sweetie; and you know I love you very much - but please take this with caution.

There have been no long term studies of the effects of this therapy on breast cancer. A lot of doctors and experts consider that estrogen is estrogen is estrogen. If it comes from a laboratory, pregnant mare urine, or a yam or soybean it is still estrogen and estrogen can feed breast cancer cells. Women with a high risk of breast cancer should consider their options carefully with their physicians before making a monumental decision like this.

There are other ways to feel better during menopause - several anti-depressants work (fairly) well at controlling hot flashes. They also help with the psycho feelings we get during menopause and there is no shame in taking them.

If there is history of breast cancer in your family, especially if it is hormone receptive positive it's probably not worth looking and feeling like a 30 year old in light of the risk factors. I drip, I whine about it, and I thank God that I am alive - and hormone free.

Now I will put my soapbox away and shut up! All I can say is that I regret every hormone pill I took and all the soy products I was stuffing in my face hoping to lose weight.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT - Menopause by Harborwitch (Billy - you are a sw...)
I am not advocating this ladies! It is just something I saw and in seeing it thought of my many friends and relatives that might find it of interest. I went through about a year of hot flashes (or power surges) and know how uncomfortable and irritating they might be. So, just take it for what you think it's worth.

Billy
  Re: Re: OT - Menopause by bjcotton (I am not advocating ...)
Quote:

I went through about a year of hot flashes (or power surges) and know how uncomfortable and irritating they might be. So, just take it for what you think it's worth.

Okay, I'm new here.

??? Billy, I thought you were a guy?

I'm 50 and just losing my cycle.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: OT - Menopause by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I am indeed a guy! I still had hot flashes for about a year; some men do have a kind of menopause ya know

Billy
  Re: Re: OT - Menopause by bjcotton (I am not advocating ...)
I know you were just trying to help and that your intentions are only the best . . . but so many women will jump at any chance or "hope" without regard to the future. I know that because I am one of them. I just want every woman to carefully evaluate every opportunity - jeeze Billy maybe it's not drooling on my keyboard that killed it - maybe it's my soggy wet fingers dripping on it! We all love you!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT - Menopause by bjcotton (I am indeed a guy! ...)
Quote:

I am indeed a guy! I still had hot flashes for about a year; some men do have a kind of menopause ya know

Andropause Billy! LOL

Cancer history in the family = stay far away from hormonal replacement therapy! HRT
It's not nice to put up with hot flashes, night sweating, wrinkles and dry eyes (and other parts of body!), but the big C is much worse!
Bearhugs,
Marina
  Re: Re: OT - Menopause by marzyn ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Is that what it's called Marina? All I know is hot flashes are NOT fun!

Billy