Lasagna Soup -(Redux)
  Re: (...)
Someone else reviewed this--I looked back 12 pages--did not find it--maybe Brian can combine the posts-anyway, my apologies--

We did the soup from Cuisine's Splendid Soups, pg 76-- WONDERFUL!! We did make some changes---
We used hot Italian sausage
added a can of petite diced tomatoes
used fresh mozzerella
Used two times the pasta
Next time I would add salt and cracked red pepper to taste--just me-

Please try it --with or without our changes--good recipe!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by Old Bay (Someone else reviewe...)
Isn't this good stuff! We just had it two nights ago....again! (Doubled it this time to put some in the freezer!)

Funny, I looked at that box of red pepper flakes the other night...but didn't use it...had company. Next time for sure!

I've used fresh and block mozzarella...both were very good, but like you said....fresh is better. In a pinch one time, I unfortunately used shredded...DON'T use shredded. It's not the same as using the cubes. I have also used provolone. Any easy melting cheese would work here.

YUMMMY! This one has become a family favorite! Thanks for posting the review, Bill. This is definitely one to try if you have not already....and if you did...good reminder to fix it again. Good weather for a good soup!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by Gourmet_Mom (Isn't this good stuf...)
Since I always seem to have (or make) spicy Italian sausage, I'm sure that's what I used also. That is such a good soup - time to make again.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by Old Bay (Someone else reviewe...)
I did try it. No changes! It was wonderful. My family ate it up.
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by Nana (I did try it. No ch...)
I made this tonight and it is very good. In fact hubby said, without my asking, "this one is a keeper". I agree with Bill, double the pasta. I think adding 3 cups of spinach instead of 2 would be a good idea too. I am so glad there is plenty left to make another meal. The better the quality your sausage, the better flavor you will get. And talk about easy!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by chef_Tab (I made this tonight ...)
It thickens up the next day!! We added salt and cracked red pepper to the leftovers and froze it!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by chef_Tab (I made this tonight ...)
Quote:

I made this tonight and it is very good. In fact hubby said, without my asking, "this one is a keeper".

Not just a "keeper," but also a "stockpiler," in that it is a great one to make ahead and freeze. For that, though, I would suggest adding the pasta later in the cooking so it's only par-cooked ahead, else it can get a little too soggy when frozen.

Quote:

I think adding 3 cups of spinach instead of 2 would be a good idea too.

That, or make it more authentically Italian by using escarole instead of spinach.

Quote:

The better the quality your sausage, the better flavor you will get.

Since Italian sausage is hard to find here, I made the recipe that was posted earlier. Just ignore the instructions about the casing, since the soup calls for bulk sausage, anyway. If you start with store-bought ground pork, the only "step" to the recipe is to mix the spices into the pork. Going along with what you said, Theresa, I would say that freshly made sausage really made the already-special soup something spectacular.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by Old Bay (It thickens up the n...)
I froze half of my last batch and will be having it again this week! We just LOVE it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by Gourmet_Mom (I froze half of my l...)
I wish I had more people to cook for and they would have a more adventurous appetite. The BIL wouldn't even taste my Marinara/spaghetti sauce.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Lasagna Soup -(Redux) by bjcotton (I wish I had more pe...)
You have gotta be kidding, Billy------------ All that effort and those aromas???? NO WAY he would not at leat TRY it----GEESH!!! That's okay---more for you and yours--- His loss!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send some over here----or best idea--that little FedEx man is coming to knock on your door in a few minutes---HAVE IT PACKAGED and READY to go------
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy