Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?)
  Re: (...)
I so sabotaged my Squash, Been & Corn Stew this week that we've been eating it for breakfast! I had planned it with those Prime Rib 'sushi' things, but was too full. Then last night we were going to have it with a sausage pizza and the pizza was so good, we just ate that.

(I made all kinds of sausage yesterday - 2 lbs. each of fresh Chorizo, fresh Kielbasa, spicy Italian and 2 1/2 lbs. breakfast sausage - so we're all set for a while.)

So stew again this a.m. and for tonight's dinner, I developed a new recipe for the next book - and if anyone would like, I would love for any/all of you to try it and let me know what you think.

Jammed Up Pork Chops

4 ea pork chops, bone in or boneless, 3/4" thick
8 oz jar of fruit/jalapeno jam (I used Black cherry/jalapeno)
1 T. Dijon Mustard
1/2 c beef stock or broth

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Flour and season the pork chops and brown in an oiled skillet over medium high heat until golden; turn over and saute 1 more minute.

While the chops are browning, mix together the jam, Dijon and the beef stock. Season with a little salt.

When chops have cooked for one minute on second side, remove the pan from heat and spoon the jam mixture over the chops; cover as completely as possible.

Cover the skillet and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or to an internal temperature of 145F.
------
Notes:
cj tips: if thicker chops are used, increase cooking time.

Check out side dishes to suggest: fennel, rice w/, something different

Description:
"I developed this Jan. 23, 09"

-----

So, that's what we're having tonight. We taste tested it yesterday and it's really tasty!

What's everyone else up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by cjs (I so sabotaged my Sq...)
The spaghetti and meatball post made me hungry, so I'm thinking of making a big pot of "gravy" and maybe some meatballs using ground venison. Also have some hot Italian sausage, so will probably put some of that in there as well.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by Mare749 (The spaghetti and me...)
I'll probably do pizza....although the spaghetti and meatballs are calling, too. But I'm gonna wait until I can try out the gravy from the Brooklyn.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by Mare749 (The spaghetti and me...)
Jean, I'd try your new recipe, but I did pork last night. Maryann, I was thinking of making sunday Gravy, but need a few things from the store. So, I think it will be hamburgers or a leftover chicken concoction I made.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by Lorraine (Jean, I'd try your n...)
Lorraine, it doesn't have to be tonight - anytime!! Also, I started another thread so this doesn't get lost.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by cjs (Lorraine, it doesn't...)
Well, my husband is still out of town so I splurged and bought some sashimi for myself for tonight. No doubt my son will have Campbell's Double Noodle Soup. It's almost as if he's addicted to it. LOL.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by Trixxee (Well, my husband is ...)
Trixee,

Have you tried some of the Campbell's Select (no msg) soups lately?? I'm a soup person for lunch at work, and these soups have had a makeover that is just yummy!! Holy Crap they're good and tasty!!

Muir Glen has some great soups, too. All organic and slightly spicy.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by BarbaraS (Trixee,[br][br]Have ...)
Tonight it's Chinese take out
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by DFen911 (Tonight it's Chinese...)
Quote:

Tonight it's Chinese take out

ditto here...

Just returned late this afternoon from a week in Juarez, Mexico. Hubby and I wend with a team of 15 people from our church to build two small one-room homes in Anapra. Very powerful and worthwhile week. Had some great Tex-Mex while there. The best meal all week was the one the families we built the homes for made for us on Thursday. There was fried chicken, beef for burritos, beans, rice, milk & rice, pasta salad, tortillas for mopping. There were some delicious sauces, too.

Good to be home!

Good to be home and looking forward to sleeping in my own bed.
  Re: Re: Saturday's Dinner - Jan. 24th (?) by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I bet Jeanette! How rewarding!

The boys said my pizzas keep getting better and better. Tonight was Italian Sausage, pepperoni, ham, and onion. I finally tried it with mozzarella AND cheddar. I have fought the idea of cheddar for a while now...just didn't seem right....LOL! Fool am I! No turning back now. There's just enough for breakfast tomorrow...if I get up before the other two!

Thanks Jean! Thanks to your dough, marinara, and cheese pillows idea...our pizza is spectacular!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.