Foods for Menopause
  Re: (...)
Menopause can cause all sorts of symptoms and they vary greatly between each woman. So here is a list that might help with symptoms you're having

Foods that reduce depression, nervousness and irritability

*egg yolks, soybeans and whole grains contain biotin; a biotin deficiency is correlated with depression

*whole grain breads and cereals, figs, spinach and kale contain magnesium that wards off depression, nervousness and irritability

*trout, herring, eggs, tempeh, sea vegetables, miso and kelp are high in vitamin B12 that protects against depression

Foods that protect against fatigue

*kelp enhances thyroid function, thereby reducing fatigue

*soy with citrus fruit, peppers, strawberries, cauliflower, parsley or watercress can provide iron that wards off fatigue

*brown rice, dates, legumes, lentils, mushrooms, split peas, tuna and whole grains contain folic acid that fight fatigue

Foods that ward off hair loss/thinning

*Copper works with zinc to aid hair growth; sources include barley, beets, garlic, nuts, pecans, soy, radishes, raisins, and seafood

*fish provides essential fatty acids that keep hair healthy

*cook in iron pots to get the iron you need to keep your hair healthy

*to improve circulation eat vitamin C-rich foods such as beet greens, black currants, mangoes, sweet peppers and pineapple

Foods that reduce hot flashes

*12 ounces of tofu or three glass of soy milk has been shown to reduce hot flashes

*a tablespoon of flaxseeds on your cereal or salad or ground in a coffee grinder and sprinkled in a glass of water

Foods that protect against headaches

*tryptophan-rich foods such as brown rice, turkey, peanuts and soy help prevent headaches

*For a soy choice to help with headaches click on unsalted or lightly salted soy nuts

*riboflavin-rich foods such as lima beans, spinach, peas, kale and sunflower seeds can help reduce migraines

Foods to help you sleep

*banana, cucumber, beets and/or rice eaten at dinner may aid sleep because they contain melatonin

*eat whole grain breads and cereals, dates, green leafy vegetables, legumes, lentils, mushrooms,and/or split peas because they contain folic acid, a sleep aid.
  Re: Foods for Menopause by DFen911 (Menopause can cause ...)
I'm saving this one. I'm afraid I may be on my way.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Foods for Menopause by Gourmet_Mom (I'm saving this one....)
Quote:

I'm saving this one. I'm afraid I may be on my way.

Ditto.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Foods for Menopause by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Gee, and I always thought they always said the answer to everything was CHOCOLATE. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Foods for Menopause by labradors (Gee, and I always th...)
Rob, why are you reading this thread?? wink wink.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Foods for Menopause by chef_Tab (Rob, why are you rea...)
Actually, because of things I had heard in an office where I had worked, I had expected to see some funny statements involving chocolate. I had not expected such a "homeopathic" message.
  Re: Re: Foods for Menopause by labradors (Actually, because of...)
Rob, there is nothing funny about chocolate. It is a sacred food. It was not mentioned because it goes without saying that chocolate is the cure-all for women. These other things Denise brought up are just add-ons, and lesser known to our species.
Theresa

Re: Re: Foods for Menopause by chef_Tab (Rob, there is nothin...)
In other words, instead of being primary factors, they are just "trace elements"?
  Re: Re: Foods for Menopause by labradors (In other words, inst...)
I just knew you would throw in a pun if I led you on long enough! Now I can go about my day with a smile.
Theresa

Re: Foods for Menopause by DFen911 (Menopause can cause ...)
Denise - just a little add on here.

If you are a woman with breast cancer in your family that is/was ER+/PR+ it is recommended that you limit your soy intake to 3 1/2 c. servings daily. Soy isolate and soy protein drinks, according to many drs., should be avoided.

If you already have or have had ER+/PR+ breast cancer soy intake should be limited to occasional. Tofu in an Asian dish, some edamame in a stir fry, soy sauce, etc.on a "now and then" basis. Soy protein drinks, soy isolates, etc. should be avoided.

There is a lot of controversy and continuing research into soy - my Dr.'s have told me to avoid it as much as possible. Which is really hyserical to me - I used to eat as much soy as I could. Soybeans instead of regular beans, edamame, soy nuts, soy chips, soy protein drinks and bars, soy flour all filled my cupboards. I've tossed them all. (Oh how we loved those soy chips! )
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!