CaH Flour weights
  Re: (...)
I am compiling a list of flour weights and methods of measurement for my favorite magazines and cookbook authors. I know CAH uses the aerate, scoop and sweep measure, but does anyone know how much a cup of flour weighs. I am transferring all my favorite recipes to Living Cookbook and want to enter the correct weight for a cup of ap flour. Thanks.
  Re: CaH Flour weights by Cubangirl (I am compiling a lis...)
WELCOME Cubangirl----not sure how to answer your question only because the flour here is very different from the one you have there!!

Hope to see what your final result is--please keep us informed!

I might try to measure and give you my result---interested??
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: CaH Flour weights by Cubangirl (I am compiling a lis...)
You'll probably get as many answers to this question as there are folks around! This is only my standard for measuring flour.

All purpose - sifted: 1 cup = 4 oz.
All purpose - unsifted: 1 cup = 5 oz.
Bread flour - sifted: 1 cup = 5 oz.
Cake flour - sifted: 1 cup = 3 1/2 oz.
Cake flour - unsifted: 1 cup = 4 oz.
Whole Wheat - sifted: 1 cup = 4 1/2 oz.
Whole Wheat - unseifted: 1 cup = 5 1/2 oz.

Welcome to the forum also, Cubangirl. Now let's see how many opinions you get on this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: CaH Flour weights by cjs (You'll probably get ...)
Thanks, it is frustrating that the weight of one cup of flour in a recipe is different depending on the source. I could not find CAHs. For example recipes from King Arthur flour use the stir and lightly spoon method and a cup weighs 4.25 ounces, whereas Cook's Illustrated and Rose Levy Beranbaum believe in dip and sweep so their cups weigh 5 ounces. Fine Cooking is aerate, spoon and sweep at 4.5. For recipes with a few cups of flour, that is a huge difference. Not a problem when the weight is given with the volume measurement, but often it is not.
  Re: Re: CaH Flour weights by Cubangirl (Thanks, it is frustr...)
I agree, it is confusing, so I rely on Jean's list and it works well for me.

Welcome Cubangirl! Please come back and join us often. You will have a lot of fun here and everyone is so nice.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."