Dinner for my Inlaws
  Re: (...)
I recently had my inlaws over for a meal. They finally accepted a dinner invitation, and the dinner was wonderful! Please take note of the Endive stuffed with Goat Cheese and Walnuts. It was fabulous! I will post that recipe separately for those interested.

Here is the menu:

Hors-D’Oeuvres

Shrimp Toast (This was a C&H recipe from the separate Holiday book)
An elegant and tasty presentation of shrimp, red peppers and scallions on top of crisp buttery toast.

Endive Stuffed with Goat Cheese and Walnuts (I will post this in a separate entry - it was 'to die for')
Sweet honeyed walnuts, orange sections and goat cheese atop crispy endive. Drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette reduction.

Salad

Warm Roasted Vegetable Salad (also C&H recipe from Issue 54)
Mesclun salad greens are topped with a mixture of roasted asparagus, grape tomatoes and button mushrooms along with a warm horseradish vinaigrette dressing.

Entrée

Roasted Top Loin (New York Strip)(another C&H recipe - definitely worth keeping)
Slow-roasted to perfection with garlic and seasonings.

Side dish

Monster Twice-Baked Potatoes (Also a C&H recipe in the same issue with the New York strip Roast)
Everything you like on a baked potato is stuffed into these huge tubers: bacon, sharp cheddar, butter and cream. Served with a creamy scallion and horseradish sauce.

Dessert

Rich Chocolate Cake (one of my own. very easy)
A delicious chocolaty cake served with fresh whipped cream and a sugared blackberry sauce.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by luvnit (I recently had my in...)
Good grief - that all sounds soooooo good, especially the endive. I'll look forward to the recipe it sounds like something wonderful.

How'd your MIL deal with your new kitchen - did I miss that???
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by Harborwitch (Good grief - that al...)
Good memory Sharon! Well we invited them over several times but they were always 'busy'. After several months they finally said yes. We all had a wonderful time, they loved the meal and I think now, maybe, my MIL understands why I 'deserve' this kitchen.
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by luvnit (Good memory Sharon! ...)
Isn't that a nice feeling! I'm glad it all worked out for you.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by Harborwitch (Isn't that a nice fe...)
I now have my 'theater rope' up in my kitchen. I only take it out when I am cooking for a crowd and I need my space.

[Image: rope.jpg]

I found a nice little brushed knickel dragonfly to hang it on.

[Image: rope2.jpg]
Laura
  Re: Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by luvnit (I now have my 'theat...)
Hahaha!! I love the rope!! That is CLASSIC
  Re: Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by DFen911 (Hahaha!! I love the ...)
That rope is too funny! Your kitchen looks gorgeous.

The meal sounds so wonderful. Can't wait to check out the stuffed endive. Which issue had the steak and potatoes?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by chef_Tab (That rope is too fun...)
If that meal didn't win her over - she is one lost cause!! Anxious to see the salad. Another item to add to my Central market list - endive!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by cjs (If that meal didn't ...)
What a lovely menu, Laura--------how could she NOT LOVE it??!!!! She's probably saying "okay----next????" She will be knocking down the doors tomorrow!!

If not---that will be me knocking down the door!!!

You should be extremely pleased with yourself---and, BTW, the kitchen (and rope) is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Dinner for my Inlaws by Roxanne 21 (What a lovely menu, ...)
Sounds just lovely, Laura. I can't see why they wouldn't be tickled pink to have been invited.
Btw, the kitchen is gorgeous and you deserve it whether someone else thinks so or not
Cis
Empress for Life