Healthy Living Diet
  Re: (...)
Well, I just got back from my visit with the nurse and registered dietitian for the Healthy Living Diet we're starting. All my indicators (cholesterol, glucose, etc.) are trending in the wrong direction and are beginning to tip into the danger zone. My doctor wanted to prescribe a cholesterol med, and I didn't want to do that, so he referred me to this program. My sweet Hubby agreed to go to through it with me.

Here's my program...
Weekly meeting and report including weigh in
Midweek report in via e-mail or phone to report on calorie intake and physical activity
1500 calories per day
2000 calories per week of physical activity (based on a point system)
64 oz water/day

This clinic also subscribes to the HMR program, which is a meal replacement plan. I just couldn't imagine eating shakes and meal replacements for 3 months. Luckily, they are launching a pilot program at the local clinic for people like me who need to improve health, and still want to eat normal foods.

I'm optimistic that this will work for me. The thing I think I need to improve on most is getting in more physical activity.

Any encouragement from this peanut gallery will be appreciated!
  Re: Healthy Living Diet by HomeCulinarian (Well, I just got bac...)
If you could find something you enjoy, it would go a long way. I hate exercise, don't really have a clue as to how to use the machines at the gym, cycling hurts my butt, and walking is boring. I kept trying different classes and found I love step aerobics and pilates. I go several times a week and even plan when I work around those classes. I am so sad if my step class is cancelled. I feel so much more energetic and happy. Wish you could come to class with me!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Healthy Living Diet by chef_Tab (If you could find so...)
Jeanette, I know you can do this. As soon as you some more details on your diet, I'll be happy to help. When William had to be near the hospital for radiation treatments after his brain surgery, he was determined to shed some pounds and start eating healthy. (He was still majorly bloated from steroid treatments.) He was able to join the hospital health clinic and went daily. At home, I spent hours scanning the web for recipes. I'll be happy to share.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Healthy Living Diet by Gourmet_Mom (Jeanette, I know you...)
I agree with Theresa, you need to find some exercises which you enjoy. Also, I am a big believer in stretching. Just 10 minutes every morning will do it, and you'll not only feel more limber but the exercises which you choose will be a little easier to do (with less soreness afterward). And vary your routine, too. In addition to stretching I do areobics (run in nice weather, exercise bike at other times) three days a week, then free weights and yoga another three days. On Sunday, I very happily do nothing!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
It will be interesting to hear about what you learn as you go through the program. I'm sure it will be advice we could all use. IMHO, you made a wise choice not going with the liquid meal replacement program.

My sister went through that program some years back and lost 60 pounds on it. The minute she went off, the weight came back. It was a complete waste of time and money because she never learned to eat healthier.

I agree with the others. When it comes to exercise, you have to do something you actually enjoy. Like Vicci, I do stretching exercises morning and night and they are so helpful for promoting a feeling of well-being. But, I think the best thing for me has been adopting Charlie, who requires a 40 minute walk in the morning and again at night, EVERY DAY!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Healthy Living Diet by Mare749 (It will be interesti...)
Thanx for the encouragement... I was feeling puny after I returned from our week in Juarez, so my plans to try out Jazzercise were postponed this week. Fridays we go to dancing lessons, so now I need to add in some other things, which will probably be walking to start. I used to be dedicated about going to aerobics class before the last two kids were born - that's been 20+ years ago now! I figured out I like social activities, because I don't keep up with the nordic track or circuit at the gym on my own. This accountability twice weekly to the RD will force me to get moving!
Good for you! Physical activity and healthy food are very motivating.
I'm glad to see you opted for real food over a liquid diet.
With you and your Hubby doing this together, I'm sure all your levels will start trending in the right direction very soon.
I have seen this before, but coincidentally, someone sent it today and I immediately thought of you. These are exercises for people over 50:

Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of

room at each side. With a 5-lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can.

Try to reach a full minute, and then relax.

Each day you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb potato bags. Then try 50-lb

potato bags and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb

potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full

minute.

(I'm at this level.)

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Healthy Living Diet by chef_Tab (I have seen this bef...)
Quote:

After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each bag.

Geez, you had me! LOL. It's early here for me, but I was wondering what you did with all those potatoes!
  Re: Re: Healthy Living Diet by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"This accountability twice weekly to the RD will force me to get moving!" That would be a motivator for me also! Good luck on this and I agree with everyone else - we could all benefit from being more careful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com