bread bowl ideas needed
  Re: (...)
Okay, Jean, this is your fault. I don't have time to order those pans, so have to try and make my own bread bowls. My daughter wants them to put chili in, so I told her I would experiment.

Does anyone make these and what type of dough do you use? I was thinking of making a french bread type dough, but then started wondering if Jean's pizza dough would work?
Ideas please?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: bread bowl ideas needed by Mare749 (Okay, Jean, this is ...)
How about sourdough?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: bread bowl ideas needed by BarbaraS (How about sourdough?...)
I have never done this with something that hot and wet...only small ones with hot crab dip in it. So I'm no help at all. I would think you would want a crusty bread. I don't do sourdough, but French bread seems like it would have the crust you need. I'm not sure the pizza dough would hold up, but what do I know...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: bread bowl ideas needed by Gourmet_Mom (I have never done th...)
Here is a recipe I was given -

3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup semolina
2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
1 tablespoon non-diastatic malt OR 2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups water

Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead them together -- by hand, mixer or bread machine -- till you've made a soft, smooth dough. Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Divide the dough into five pieces, and form them into round (not flattened) balls. Place them on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, cover lightly, and set them aside to rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours, or until they've almost doubled in size.

Uncover the balls and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes, to develop a tough skin. Just before placing the bread bowls in the oven, mist them heavily with water. Bake the bread bowls in a pre-heated 425°F oven for 18 to 22 minutes, until they're a deep, golden brown. Turn off the oven, prop the door open a little, and leave the bread bowls inside for 15 minutes; this will keep the crust crisp.

Remove the bread bowls from the oven and cool them completely before cutting the tops off and removing the insides; (reserve the insides to make bread crumbs). Yield: 5 large bread bowls.
  Re: Re: bread bowl ideas needed by BarbaraS (How about sourdough?...)
Quote:

How about sourdough?

Barbara

YUM! Great idea for when I get some starter going again. In the meantime, I'm thinking the recipe that Denise has would be tasty. I haven't made semolina bread in a while, but we did like it!
Maryann

Re: Re: bread bowl ideas needed by Mare749 ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Interesting - I'd love to play with the pizza dough and see if it is crusty enough, but for today, I hope you went with just a French/Italian loaves, like miniature ones.

Anxious to hear what you did.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: bread bowl ideas needed by cjs (Interesting - I'd lo...)
These are for tomorrow, Jean, so I was just gathering my ideas today. If I can get the semolina flour in the morning, I'm going to use Denise's recipe. If they turn out well, I'll take pics.
Maryann

Re: Re: bread bowl ideas needed by Mare749 (These are for tomorr...)
I would just buy a boule from the bakery. I used to make a double recipe of spinach dip, cut the top off the break, scoop out the soft part (in large chunks) and fill with dip. Then, cube the interior bread, and serve with assorted veggies for dipping. Then, break apart the bread and eat it, it still has residual dip.

Sally
  Re: Hey, Maryann by lxxf (I would just buy a b...)
Oh, I just love that dip and haven't had it in ages!

Actually, we did think about buying them, but she needs 12 for her Super Bowl party tomorrow. So, of course, I volunteered to make them...
Maryann

Re: Re: Hey, Maryann by Mare749 (Oh, I just love that...)
Sally, I used to do the same thing MANY MOONS ago except it was a dill dip----and a rye bread boule.......YUMMM!!

Hmmmmm......next time I can put bread on the menu this will be on it--------
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy