Review: Mushroom, Leek and Cheese Tarts
  Re: (...)
Well, now that the store had the leeks and the goat cheese I had needed to make the Mushroom, Leek and Cheese Tarts, not a store in town had any BUTTER! Of course, I needed that in order to make the quick puff pastry (and I needed to make THAT because ready-made, packaged puff pastry sheets are not sold here, at all). After nearly a week of putting this off, and hoping the stores would get some butter, I asked my American neighbour, and he happened to have some (all I needed was one more stick).

Thus, I was FINALLY able to make these little treats, from my usual mushroom-recipe site, that I have been wanting to try for so long, and I am VERY glad I did: these things are WONDERFUL!

Of course, with leeks, garlic, mushrooms and goat cheese, what's not to like?

The strange way in which they are made had me wondering, when I had first read the recipe, if and how they would turn out, but they actually worked very well. Once the leeks, garlic, and mushrooms have all been cooked together, slices of the goat cheese are placed onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Next, 1/4 cup of the mixture is placed on top of each slice of goat cheese. Finally, you cut four-inch circles out of the puff pastry sheets, drape them over the top of the mixture-covered goat cheese, and pinch them down to the parchment. Once this unusual arrangement is put into the oven and baked, just slide a metal spatula under the pastry circles, turn them upside down, and there you have mini tarts with a pretty nice presentation (and DELICIOUS, as well)!

My camera's batteries needed to be charged, so I didn't get my own picture of these gems, but here's the picture from the website where I got the recipe:

[Image: mlctlc7.jpg]

As mentioned earlier, I also made the Mushroom-and-Chicken-Sausage Rolls (which were also a big hit). Here's the website's picture of those:

[Image: mcsrpu6.jpg]

As long as I'm posting pictures, here's a handy, old-fashioned gadget I picked up for 20 cents at the same store where I had found the sourdough book:

[Image: bctopvf7.jpg]

It's a "Butter Cutter" that slices butter into perfect pats. With just two additional, lengthwise cuts, I had perfect little cubes of butter for making the puff pastry. After that, I borrowed an idea from a friend of mine. He said that his wife likes to use an egg slicer to slice mushrooms, so I just adapted the "Butter Cutter" to the idea, and it worked very well - in fact, probably better, since I could slice four or five mushrooms at a time.

Anyway, although appearing unusual, at first, these tarts were quite simple to make, and absolutely delicious to eat, and I know I shall be making these again!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Review: Mushroom, Leek and Cheese Tarts by labradors (Well, now that the s...)
"Of course, with leeks, garlic, mushrooms and goat cheese, what's not to like?" - that just goes without saying, sounds great.

I'm going to have to go read the instructions in depth to figure out what you were saying about the pastry circles...or read a little slower. But, I sure will be making these.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Mushroom, Leek and Cheese Tarts by cjs ("Of course, with lee...)
Sounds like a great recipe and not at all hard to make, although I won't be making the puff pastry myself.

Just re-read the instructions and noted the use of parchment. I would think that would be a must-have for this to be successful.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Review: Mushroom, Leek and Cheese Tarts by Mare749 (Sounds like a great ...)
Quote:

Sounds like a great recipe and not at all hard to make, although I won't be making the puff pastry myself.

I only do that since I have no other choice nor source. It does work well, though - for this kind of thing.

Quote:

Just re-read the instructions and noted the use of parchment. I would think that would be a must-have for this to be successful.

Don't know WHAT I'd do without parchment. Love the stuff. Could never afford to have multiple Silpats, so I've never bothered getting even just one.
  Re: Re: Review: Mushroom, Leek and Cheese Tarts by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
The tarts sounds very much like the tomato, onion, cheese tarts I want to make from Ina Garten....just sub tomato with mushrooms and place on TOP of the pastry. Like you said Labs...what's not to like! I think when I try the Ina Garten recipe, I'll switch out the tomatoes and add mushrooms for half of them! THANKS!

Also, I have added the chicken-mushroom rolls to the menu for my appy dinner for William's Birthday dinner night!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Mushroom, Leek and Cheese Tarts by Gourmet_Mom (The tarts sounds ver...)
Quote:

The tarts sounds very much like the tomato, onion, cheese tarts I want to make from Ina Garten...

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?

Quote:

Like you said Labs...what's not to like! I think when I try the Ina Garten recipe, I'll switch out the tomatoes and add mushrooms for half of them! THANKS!

Also, I have added the chicken-mushroom rolls to the menu for my appy dinner for William's Birthday dinner night!

Don't forget the "Sweet Chilli Sauce" (their spelling) to go with the rolls. If you like mushrooms, etc., I'm sure you'll love each of these things. Enjoy, and I hope he has a great birthday celebration!