2nd Course & Dessert
  Re: (...)
First of all - that was the best Superbowl football game I've seen in years!!!! What a great game by both teams. Love Kurt Warner, but also have always loved Pittsburg, so I was just happy with everything everyone did.

And I was certainly a happy camper with our food also - Walking Tostado has been a family favorite since the kids were little and I haven't made it in the longest time. And add Brendaritas to them - oh my
[Image: walkingtostado.jpg]

And dessert - almost didn't eat any 'cause we were so darn full, but finally did and this is a great - Baked Churros with Chocolate sauce.
[Image: churros.jpg]

Bake Churros with Chocolate Sauce

2 sticks unsalted butter, divided ( )
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp plus 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
1 1/2 T. cinnamon

Set oven rack to lower-middle position; heat oven to 400 F.

Bring 1 cup water, 1 stick of butter, salt and 1 tsp sugar to a rolling boil. Lower heat, add flour and stir with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a soft ball. Off heat, thoroughly stir in one egg at a time. Let dough stand until it can hold its shape, about 5 minutes.

Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop scant 2 T. dough to form balls. Bake 30 minutes, until golden. Remove churros and reduce oven to 200 F.

Melt remaining stick of butter. Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Dunk puffs in butter, coat in cinnamon sugar and poke an 'X' in the puff bottoms with a kinife point. Return to cookie sheet and set inn warm oven until puffs crisp, 45 minutes to 3 hours.

Serve with Warm Chocolate Dipping sauce. Makes 1bout 30.

Warm Chocolate Dipping Sauce

4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. instant espresso or instant coffee
1 T. cornstarch
1 T. cold water

Heat chocolate, milk, sugar and instant espresso in a medium saucepan until chocolate melts. Combine cornstarch and water and whisk into hot chocolate; simmer chocolate until it thickens, almost immediately. Pour into a small bowl; serve warm with churros.

----

That was our day - did you have fun too???????

(hope you can see the pix - I really don't want to change photo places...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: 2nd Course & Dessert by cjs (First of all - that ...)
Looks just great Jean. Err what's a 'Brendarita'?
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: 2nd Course & Dessert by luvnit (Looks just great Jea...)
BRENDARITAS (MARGARITAS) - THE BEST!

Brenda Horton was our realtor in California who became a very good friend - and could she ever cook Mexican food - she is Mexican and learned from her Mom. We named these in her honor because they are so good!

Fill a glass with ice, add 2/3 of the glass with Jose Cuervo Mix, add 1/2 (to 3/4) a shooter glass of tequila (preferably Patron, 100% de guave), a splash of contreau and orange juice.
Pour all into a shaker and shake, pour into a margarita glass.

And of course, that glass must have a salty rim!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: 2nd Course & Dessert by cjs (BRENDARITAS (MARGARI...)
Well SHOOT!!! I forgot to include the Brendaritas in the menu! DANG! The bulls got too spicy after the first two courses and the Brendaritas would have been perfect to take the edge off the chili!

Jean, it looks like we went the same way with our dinner...LOL! Your dip looks a lot like mine! I also agree...the game was outstanding!!!! I felt bad for the Cardinals...so close, but I was afraid the Steelers would get it. I just had no idea it would go all the way to the end of the last quarter. I think the Cardinals showed themselves as a force to be reckoned with! That last Steeler TD was pure luck! His toes were so close!!!!

BTW, Bill, we had leftover chili on fritos tonight...frito pie! And they were fabulous! I'll have to admit....I really didn't miss the beans, but I still like them in my chili.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.