Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes
  Re: (...)
As we are looking for good taste and low calorie, we found this recipe in the newspaper. I made this it last night for a non-meat dinner along with a cup of Roasted Tomato Soup from the freezer. We will use leftovers for a side dish later in the week. The writer says you can wrap each cake up individually after baking and freeze or refrigerator for convenient reheating later. This was incredibly rich tasting even with the low fat. I liked the presentation cut into triangles. I was also thinking this could be made in ramekins and turned out or just served from the ramekin.

Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes
4 Entree or 8 side dish servings
3 cups butternut squash, cut into ½-inch cubes (about 1, 2-# squash)
4 teasp EVOO, divided
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup leeks, rinsed well and thinly sliced
1 cup medium-grain rice
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup fat-free half and half or lowfat milk
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 T chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a jellyroll pan with foil. Toss the squash cubes with 2 teasp of the EVOO to coat. Spread cubes on prepared pan and bake until tender and lightly golden (30-40 minutes); stirring after 20 minutes.
2. While squash is baking make risotto. Heat chicken broth to gentle boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and keep warm until needed.
3. Heat remaining 2 teasp EVOO in large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté stirring often until soft and lightly brown. Add the dry rice and stir frequently for one minute.
4. Pour in the wine and simmer stirring constantly until liquid is absorbed. Reduce heat to low and add ½ cup of hot stock, simmer, stirring frequently until absorbed.
5. Add remaining stock ½ cup at a time allow stock to be absorbed before adding more. Stir each time you add stock. The rice should be tender and look creamy when finished.
6. Gently stir in the roasted squash, half and half, parmesan and parsley, cooking a couple of minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Coat an 8 x 8” baking dish with cooking spray and spread risotto mixture evenly in pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Let rest and then cut into triangle wedges.
Calories per entrée serving =335
  Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by HomeCulinarian (As we are looking fo...)
That does sound good, Jeanette! And BTW, I applaud your discipline when so many of us were eating high-fat party food yesterday. Time for some damage control at our house!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by Mare749 (That does sound good...)
"Time for some damage control at our house!" at our house also!!

Copied and certainly will be made soon - everything I like in that dish!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by cjs ("Time for some damag...)
This looks terrific, Jeanette. Printed and will put in my to do pile----just ANOTHER goodie from the forum buddies. All I can say is---thank goodness I am on only one forum----otherwise I would be in MAJOR @#^%$

Thank you for posting---it has most of "my favorite things" in it----
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by Roxanne 21 (This looks terrific,...)
I agree, it sounds delicious and I am putting it on the menu for this week. That with a salad and dinner is complete. Thanks for sharing and keep the healthy recipes coming!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by chef_Tab (I agree, it sounds d...)
Sounds really good! Adding it to the list.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by Harborwitch (Sounds really good! ...)
Jeannette, I had a butternut squash rissoto on the to do list, but this one sounds so much better. I too need to do some damage control, so this is on the short list. I'm with Roxanne, I'm glad I'm only a member on this forum...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by Gourmet_Mom (Jeannette, I had a b...)
Had this leftover as a side with chicken breast and sherry mushroom sauce. After the risotto had been in the fridge, the shape held much better. And, it tasted great. If I was going to make this again, I would make a day ahead, cut into triangle shapes, then reheat to serve.
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by HomeCulinarian (Had this leftover as...)
I was thinking the same thing - making this ahead of time. Wold make it even more of a winner!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butternut Squash Risotto Cakes by cjs (I was thinking the s...)
Friend 'anon' was looking at this thread and I'm sitting here with a butternut squash wondering what to do with it.

I never did make this dish Jeannett posted, so now is the time. (Shoot, we're not unhooking, so probably can't make it for 4 days at least.)
www.achefsjourney.com